Slate veneer tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Has anyone had any experience of using these (or any other kind of stone veneer tiles) as floor tiles?

I've had some samples through from a supplier and they're about 1mm thick. I've seen some elsewhere that seem to come affixed to a backing sheet but are much thinner so you can bend them etc. however these are solid (albeit thin) tiles.

Really want to use them as floor tiles but they would obviously need to be laid on top of something else so that they were adequately strengthened.

Want to use them in a bathroom, in case that makes a difference...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Would pre-laying something like Hardiebacker cement board and then tiling the veneers onto that suffice?

Aren't the stone veneers already bonded to a porcelain tile backer?

No, the supplier has stated that they are on a 'polystyrene board'... they seem to suggest this is suitable for using them as wall tiles but that it wouldn't be suitable for flooring (which I would agree with!)

Sponsored Links
I can't see how you'd use them other than as a feature wall tile. I'd image that they'd be very fragile. Do they come with fixing instructions etc?

I can't see how you'd use them other than as a feature wall tile. I'd image that they'd be very fragile. Do they come with fixing instructions etc?

This is the annoying thing... I would never have thought they could be used as (the top surface of) flooring were it not for both the manufacturer and reseller stating that it could be used as flooring!

Due to time constraints we will have to go with something else :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back