Slates onto concrete blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi forum,

I'm about to fix 20 M2 of natural slate tiles, 300mm x 300mmx 10mm onto standard concrete 4" blocks internally.

I got the slates at a good price, but the seller is trying to get me to buy primer and adhesive off him as well.

I may well need them, but thought I'd check with the experts first.

Adhesive is Ultra Tile ProRapid RS and primer is Ultra Tile Prime IT FP Flexible Primer. I know I need adhesive, and this seems OK, but would I need primer too? The adhesive is cementitious so don't see the need for primer with concrete blocks.

While on the subject, should I seal afterwards also? They'll be in a stairwell so won't be getting wet or wear & tear.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Sponsored Links
the seller is right, you need the adhesive because concrete blocks are very porous. its very different to fixing onto a concrete screed. Frankly its not worth skimping.

Make sure you fix them with a notched trowel and spot them.

Yes you should seal them, before and after you grout, but you'll get away with not doing so if you like.

Ok, thanks tpt.

I understand the bit about needing adhesive, is the make he's suggesting recommended in your opinion?

Also, is sealer and primer the same thing?

Sponsored Links
Sorry!

No sealer and primer are different. the sealer is an impregnator really, its clear and soaks into the slate a little to close off any porosity. Look at Lithofin, LTP or Fila ranges.

Nothing wrong with Ultra, its a popular trade choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back