Sliding Door into Stud ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

In a bedroom ensuite situation, would a sliding door going into the stud be a good idea? In terms of noise opening and closing, and sealing to keep in steam from shower etc. It would be a wooden door (not glass).

Are there decent quality rails or systems that anyone can recommend?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by going into?

As in the door disappearing into the wall. This will be very awkward, bulky and a maintenance nightmare.
Not to mention the wooden shower door disappearing into the stud wall with all that water dripping off it :eek: I think it’s a very bad & totally impractical idea ; what’s wrong with a glass bi-fold door :?:

I've seen this done, it does need a partition twice the thickness to that of a normal partition, it was very difficult for the builders to do and it was difficult to maintain but it did look excellent. You need to specify very hi-quality runners do not skimp on them and make sure the installation is perfect otherwise it will be a nightmare. We did it for a guy in a wheelchair.
I assume you mean the ensuite door not the actual shower screen door? If you do mean the shower screen door you're insane!

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys, to clarify:

There is a stud wall going up in the bedroom to create an ensuite area. The choice is either to have the door opening into the bedroom or, as you say, into the stud wall. It is NOT the shower cubicle door.

I had heard that this was possible and there is talk of using a Screwfix Sliding Track
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12029...e-762mm?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-BALL RACE-_-12029

I take it the 'other' systems are expensive....any examples?

I suppose I want the door to 'be right' and also not look/feel a bit mickey mouse.
Thanks for help.

That'll be no good Bren.
Convert hinged internal doors to sliding doors. Highly durable and smooth running ball race type for heavy use. Requires no rebates or bottom track. Includes all parts. Quick and easy to fit.ONLY £22.50
The door will be flapping about more than breezer replying to a request for an "idea on price". There are much more robust and elegant solutions available.

Sorry guys, to clarify:

There is a stud wall going up in the bedroom to create an ensuite area. The choice is either to have the door opening into the bedroom or, as you say, into the stud wall. It is NOT the shower cubicle door.

I had heard that this was possible and there is talk of using a Screwfix Sliding Track
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12029...e-762mm?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-BALL RACE-_-12029

I take it the 'other' systems are expensive....any examples?

I suppose I want the door to 'be right' and also not look/feel a bit mickey mouse.
Thanks for help.

That link doesn't work for me but like I said you need to get a decent one such as one from Hafele, I don't know how much they are but I can guarantee they'll be a whole lot more than £22 http://www.hafele.co.uk/Hafele35a1/Templates/Hafele/browse.asp?newrecordset=yes&classlevel=8056
You really need to ring them up and speak to their technical department and explain exactly what you want to achieve they'll then suggest the most suitable one eg http://www.hafele.co.uk/Hafele35a1/images/External/AI08_11-022.pdf
There are plenty of other manufacturers but you just need to make sure you don't buy something that's not well made and needs lubricating every 5 minutes otherwise you'll end up with a disaster. Avoid all the DIY chains builders merchants and cheapy online stores. A good set of runners is the key to success here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back