Sliding patio door won't lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my parents have gone away and I've noticed there patio door doesn't lock.My sister's staying in the house and is naturally a little scared.

I'm not sure now if the lever locks when it's down or supposed to lock when the levers up.

We slide the door shut the key will turn ok but doesn't seem to be locking you can just lift the lever straight back up

Attachments

• IMG-20180525-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20180525-WA0001.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG-20180525-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20180525-WA0002.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 859
Sponsored Links
Down is usually lock.

If it wont go fully down, try putting some Vaseline on the moving parts on the end of the door, that worked for me until the door could be adjusted.

Worst case wedge a piece of timber between the handle and the non-moving section - better than nothing!

I think the lever goes all the way down.Ill check when I get round first thing 2mos she's got friends staying over tonight I'll take some wood just incase

With the door open try pressing the plunger in and try the lever and lock with the key, if it locks while the door is open then its probabaly settled out of adjustment, check it doesn't have shootbolts though otherwise my little test won't work as the shootbolts need a hole to go into and there won't be one with the door half open, it'll only be at the top and bottom of the lock side

Sponsored Links
Right the door shuts fine and the lever goes all the way down I can turn the key fine to lock it,but you can just lift the lever up from inside or outside and slide it open

In
With the door open try pressing the plunger in and try the lever and lock with the key, if it locks while the door is open then its probabaly settled out of adjustment, check it doesn't have shootbolts though otherwise my little test won't work as the shootbolts need a hole to go into and there won't be one with the door half open, it'll only be at the top and bottom of the lock side

We tried pressing the button in then locking the door while open the key turns and locks but as soon as you lift the lever it opens

Any suggestions? Also looking at getting some locking bolts in the meantime.

We've taken the latch off from outside meanwhile so you can't open it from outside

Attachments

• IMG_20180612_144649.jpg
    IMG_20180612_144649.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_20180612_151556.jpg
    IMG_20180612_151556.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back