Slight glitch!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Building works has started on my extension after getting planning, and pre approved building regs drawings. I have a private drain that runs along the back of my property that was always going to be close to the footings.
We discovered today that the drain is too close! Gutted.
It means we have to build out another ~700mm which building regs have been on site and agreed it's all good.
Next door have a bigger extension so no issue there.

Do I have to go back to planning and get this approved?
Do I wait until it's all done?
There were no objections or contencious issues with the planning permission, so where do i stand with this.
Has anyone had this experience?

I'm not worried about it, would just like to get an idea of the correct path to take. Could do without paying for a retrospective planning application cost!
Thanks
Huw

Sponsored Links
This is work not in accordance with the approved plan, and whether you go back to planning now or in the future you will still incur a fee as it is likely to be too much of an alteration to be a rider on the approved plan.

If it's not contentious, then you could probably carry on and not hold things up. The you can choose whether to re-apply for permission or not.

We had to bridge a drain on my extension after plans were approved, I cant remember having any changes done or resubmitting plans.
I think the building inspector, was on site & said ok.

Sponsored Links
We had to bridge a drain on my extension after plans were approved, I cant remember having any changes done or resubmitting plans.

If you read the o.p. he is saying that he needs to make the extension larger in order to bridge the drain. This is whole new planning issue and will need consideration.

Building control are only interested as to whether the job is correctly and have no say or remit regards what goes on at the planning dep't.

Wisdom says re-submit to planning before you go any further.

Thanks for comments.

diyisfun - that is exactly the situation with the drain, but the extension has to move out by 700mm.

Looks like this will fall under permitted development as it complies with all the rules.
Will call planning later to confirm though.....

If you read the o.p. he is saying that he needs to make the extension larger in order to bridge the drain. This is whole new planning issue and will need consideration.

Building control are only interested as to whether the job is correctly and have no say or remit regards what goes on at the planning dep't.

Wisdom says re-submit to planning before you go any further.

I did read it ;)
After my plans were approved, we found the drain, we bridged the drain & I got a bigger extension ( :LOL: :LOL: ) Apart from a small extra charge by my builder I was very happy. (So would you be if you had a bigger one).
The extension went beyond permitted as my plans were drawn to the max

Looks like this will fall under permitted development as it complies with all the rules.

How can it fall under permitted development when you want to alter an extension which was subject to a planning permission application?

After my plans were approved, we found the drain, we bridged the drain & I got a bigger extension ( :LOL: :LOL: ) Apart from a small extra charge by my builder I was very happy. (So would you be if you had a bigger one).
The extension went beyond permitted as my plans were drawn to the max

If planning wanted to enforce policy they could do so. At best they could require that you to gain retrospective approval, at worst they could force you to take the building down.

How can it fall under permitted development when you want to alter an extension which was subject to a planning permission application?

Well, in my logical mind the current extension is already approved, so in the eyes of planning - is closed. The 'new' extension is only 3m wide by 0.7m long and meets all these conditions:-

Under new regulations that came into effect on 1 October 2008 an extension or addition to your house is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

•No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
•No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.
•No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
•Maximum depth of a single-storey rear extension of three metres beyond the rear wall for an attached house and four metres beyond the rear wall for a detached house.
•Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.
•Maximum depth of a rear extension of more than one storey of three metres beyond the rear wall including ground floor.
•Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.
•Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house.
•Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.
•Two-storey extensions no closer than seven metres to rear boundary.
•Roof pitch of extensions higher than one storey to match existing house.
•Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.
•No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
•Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.
•On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey.
•On designated land no cladding of the exterior.
•On designated land no side extensions.

Bingo! :LOL:
I'm sure it doesn't really work like that, but at no point does it say you can't add to an approved planning application - i'm sure one of you will find it for me though..... :rolleyes: :cry:

However, i like to do things properly so i have submitted an updated drawing to planning this afternoon so we'll see what they say......
Cheers

When it comes to selling your house are you going to lie and say the extension has planning approval (leaves you personally liable for costs arising if planning later find out and ask the person who bought the house to take it down).

or are you going to get retrospective planning permission for the additional piece (may be some risk of having to take it down but if your neighbour has no issue with it and you get on the risk is low.)

I'm sure it doesn't really work like that, but at no point does it say you can't add to an approved planning application - i'm sure one of you will find it for me though

Huw, the clue to interpretation of permitted development rights is the profligate use of "original dwellinghouse" and "original roof" in the 2008 General Permitted Development Order.

The logic of your argument is that you could just keep adding extension onto extension onto extension.

I understand what you are saying, but to be honest, i'm not really sure why i needed to apply for planning ermission in the first place as even the original extension with this little bit added doesn't even breach the listed rules.

We'll see what they say. Can't really see them having an issue though and i believe i have a 'good case' if they do. My main planning app was for change of use - 2 flats to a house - rather than the extension.

Cheers

A scenario..... Years later you sell...all OK and above board with planning/searches etc. Then someone like me finds there is a private drain **Under the extension**. I personally wouldn`t touch the house with a bargepole. :eek:

Now if the drain had been diverted and had manhole access ..I would buy it. I can`t be alone in having had :evil: scenarios with private sewer/drain in the past, surely. ;) PS. spun cast iron under the extension with manhole @ each side would keep me happy too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back