Slightly different 'oven not working' problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oven is a John Lewis JLDUOS705 and the top oven works fine but the bottom oven is completely unresponsive - no heat / light or fan. The clock/timer appears to be working correctly but after much probing with a multimeter is still my prime suspect.
The suspect timer is here:

(Please ignore the circled brown wire for now) The single red wire runs from the empty spade connector on the far side of the timer directly to lower oven switch. There is no power on this wire no matter what the position of the lower oven switch. As a test, I connected the temporary brown wire (circled) from the disconnected red wire to the near side of the timer where two live brown wires connect. All worked fine!
So, despite an apparently working clock, it seems that the power doesn't cross from one side of the timer to the other.

I have read plenty of posts online about bypassing the clock when it is not working but nothing specific to this situation. Can anybody tell me if I have missed something obvious and if not, can the brown wire safely be left in situ as a permanent fix?
Cheers,
Niscars

Sponsored Links
Yes the timer is set. Initially, there was problem with it where it seemed to be locked into a cooking delay cycle but I have since managed to clear that and it seems to be running normally now (just not allowing power to the bottom oven).
Noted ref the connections - that was just to prove my theory and will be done better if that's the way I go.
Thanks,
Niscars

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back