Slightly obstructed!

Maybe, but that presumably refers to a temporary bond between parts whilst undertaking work?
Yes, I think so. Changing a meter, for example.
Indeed - and I would think that changing a meter is one of the few cases in which it might be important to do that. [mind you, I'm reminded of the rather interesting 2.5mm² {if that big} G/Y cable that 'they' have installed (permanently) between the pipes on either side of my water meter :) ] ... but there was nothing 'temporary' about what the gas guy wanted to do here!

Maybe a 'clue' comes from the fact that he 'reassured' me that I wouldn't need to get an electrician ... "because he could do what was required" :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
A separate bond back to the MET from the boiler? Why not then also a separate bond to the MET from the bath, a separate bond to the MET from an instant electric shower, a separate bond to the MET from the kitchen sink, and so on?

Sounds about as comforting as the cross-bonding the plumber from Anglian Water re-fitted and added after I had a water meter installed some years ago (inside meter, under the kitchen sink). I had to go back and tighten almost every terminal and strap.

Sponsored Links
Sounds about as comforting as the cross-bonding the plumber from Anglian Water re-fitted and added after I had a water meter installed some years ago (inside meter, under the kitchen sink). I had to go back and tighten almost every terminal and strap.
Maybe it was the same guy - in relation to the puny strap across the meter, I'm talking about Anglian Water, too!

Kind Regards, John

A separate bond back to the MET from the boiler?
No, two separate bonds back to the MET - one for the water pipework and one for the gas pipework :)
Why not then also a separate bond to the MET from the bath, a separate bond to the MET from an instant electric shower, a separate bond to the MET from the kitchen sink, and so on?
You're asking the wrong person!

Kind Regards, John

he 'reassured' me that I wouldn't need to get an electrician ... "because he could do what was required" :)
Comforting...
Quite. I'm actually glad that he 'refused' to do the job without the bonding, because that saved me the potentially awkward task of telling him that I didn't trust him to do anything! He was only here to replace a dead thermocouple, something I've done countless times in the past (but was 'being good' on this occasion in sending for the GasSafe man'!), so I'm not going to tell you what happened after he left!

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps your gas man has one of D.W. Cockburns books...
Maybe - but no way is he 'my gas man', nor ever will be! What was 'my gas man' retired a few months ago, and this this was the first (and hopefully last!) time I had encountered this new (young) one, who came 'highly recommended'!

Kind Regards, John

He wasn't, by any chance, one of those who tries to perpetuate the myth that it's illegal to work on your own gas installation in your own home unless CORGI/GasSafe/whatever-it is-now registsred, was he?

He wasn't, by any chance, one of those who tries to perpetuate the myth that it's illegal to work on your own gas installation in your own home unless CORGI/GasSafe/whatever-it is-now registsred, was he?
We did not get to that discussion. I suppose he probably assumed that, since I had 'sent for him' that I wasn't a person who could, would or would want to work on my gas installation!

Although I said that I was 'being good' by sending for him, the truth is that my other half did the 'sending for' whilst I was temporarily away from the house! However, as will be apparent, I was back by the time he appeared!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back