Slightly unusual mains cold water supply

With any load switched on, any metalwork connected to the earth becomes live (draw it out on paper) (I've seen it)
In which case I'd rather not deliberately make my radiators and taps etc become live when there was no need to because they were not, until I made them so, part of the electrical installation.
If I may be allowed to very briefly switch to 'philosophical mode' (and undoubtedly attract a lot of flack!) at the end of a weekend, as far as I can see, all of these issues (and discussions ... and potential problems and dangers) are the consequence of TN supplies.

Whilst I do not dispute that the TN concept offers a number of advantages (e.g. a very low earth resistance, and lack of reliance of the consumer to provide and maintain an even half-satisfactory path to earth), I think I'm probably fairly pleased that my installation is TT. In contrast with the situation with TN systems, it is vanishingly unlikely that a satisfactory TT electrode would ever introduce a significant non-earth potential (unless it was inappropriately positioned relative the the earth electrode of other installations, which then developed a fault which was not remedied by that installation's protective devices), and the same is true of all the infamous 'extraneous conductive parts'. Hence, were it not for the regs, there wouldn't really be any need for main bonding (as currently conceived in BS7671) at all, and certainly (by definition) no risk of the sort of situation described by westie above arising as a consequence of a supply-side fault.

Now, where was that flack jacket? .... :)

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
With any load switched on, any metalwork connected to the earth becomes live (draw it out on paper) (I've seen it)
In which case I'd rather not deliberately make my radiators and taps etc become live when there was no need to because they were not, until I made them so, part of the electrical installation.

Isn't it more accurate to say "any metalwork connected to the CPC and/or MET becomes live " ?

When this happens the CPC and MET and all equi-potential bonded pipe work becomes live and 230 volts above true ground. This is safe for all people inside the building provided they cannot touch anything conductive to the ground. But it creates a serious hazard for any one inside who can touch something conductive to ground such as a damp wall, an incoming telephone or data cable etc etc. There is also a hazard to someone outside the builind who touches a gas meter or outside water tap while standing on the ground.

No, as I've said, I don't. That's why (despite all the ridicule it seems to generate) I want the pipework in my house explicity bonded to the electrical installation's MET

As do I. The idea that the pipework can be treated as a small, isolated item which can be dealt with by supposed segregation doesn't add up. It's not just a metal door handle or something equally trivial. The chances of the latter becoming energized by some means are extremely remote. You might manage it if you draped a damaged appliance cord over the handle, but even if that happened, it would be only the handle itself which would be live (O.K., and probably the matching handle on the other side of the door via the metal bar connecting them).

The water pipework in the house extends over a much greater area, and is not so easily segregated. If you drape a damaged kettle lead over a metal kitchen tap, do you want that to leave not only the kitchen tap live but also exposed pipework running on walls in a utility room, and taps in that utility room and bathroom to be live, when there will be other earthed metalwork right next to it, such as from a washing machine, dryer, or similar appliance?

You would need to maintain very strict electrical isolation of various sections of the pipework to prevent that from happening. Unless you went to great lengths to provide suitable insulation during installation, you would still have all sorts of stray paths to earth via parts of the building.

And what happens when somebody just pushes an earthed, metal-cased appliance up against some piece of exposed pipework or a radiator? What happens to that segregation then?

I'm not sure it's totally the fault of those here, since they are being 'fed' by the apparent requirements of BS7671.

The notion that the pipework need not be bonded seems very new, perhaps fueled by the apparent vagueness which has crept into BS7671 and the belief that somehow the pipework can be treated as a small, isolated piece of metalwork which can be handled by segregation, even though it's impractical to so segregate it.

Older editions of what were then just the IEE Wiring Regs. made it perfectly clear that the pipework in the house is a substantial piece of extraneous fixed metalwork which needs to be bonded. Here are the applicable regulations from the 14th edition:

D.10 The consumer's earthing terminal required by Regulation D.2 shall be bonded to the metalwork of any gas or water services on the consumer's premises in accordance with regulations D.11-13.

{.....}

D.12 The bonding connections to any gas or water services shall be made as near as practicable to the point of entry of those services into the premises; provided that where there is an insulating section or insert at that point, the connection shall be made to the metalwork on the consumer's side of that section or insert.

{.....}

D.14 The exposed metalwork of all apparatus which is required by these Regulations to be earthed, which might otherwise come into fortuitous contact with extraneous fixed metalwork shall be either effectually segregated therefrom or effectually bonded thereto so as to prevent appreciable voltage differences at such possible points of contact (see also Regulation B.53).

NOTE 1. - The extraneous fixed metalwork required to be bonded and earthed in these circumstances includes the following:

(i) Baths and exposed metal pipes, radiators, sinks and tanks, in the absence of metal-to-metal joints of negligible electrical resistance.

(ii) Where practicable, accessible structural steelwork.

(iii) Framework of mobile equipment on which electrical equipment is mounted, such as cranes and lifts.

NOTE 2. - There are special requirements for bonding to metalwork of other services in P.M.E. installations (see Regulation D.34(iii) and Item 4(2) of Appendix 5).

How have we gotten from this clear requirement to bond the pipework to the present situation where some people seem to think that it's unnecessary?

Yet some of those who want to leave the substantial amount of extraneous fixed metalwork which forms the water system of the house unbonded will start (metaphorically) jumping up and down at the thought of having a metal light fitting on an unearthed lighting circuit, even though the risk it poses is substantially smaller, being a single item, generally mounted out of general reach, and where any fault in the fitting would leave only that fitting itself live.

bernardgreen said:
Do the regulations say anything about connecting the MET of a PME system to an earth rod ?

I can recall being told that connecting the neutral derived "earth" of a PME supply to an earth rod was not permitted.

I had an argument with somebody on another forum some time ago over this very subject, and he was trying to insist that it was outright dangerous and that it was somehow creating a "hybrid" earthing system which was a cross between TN-C-S and TT. Yet he was quite happy for the neutral/earth of a TN-C-S system to be bonded to a metallic water pipe buried in the ground. Nothing would convince him that the water pipe would be acting just as much as an earth electrode as a rod driven into the ground specifically for the purpose (and probably providing a lower impedance path anyway if of substantial length).

In other parts of the world where TN-C-S is the norm, a local earth electrode is required to be connected to the incoming neutral.

Sponsored Links
The water pipework in the house extends over a much greater area, and is not so easily segregated. If you drape a damaged kettle lead over a metal kitchen tap, do you want that to leave not only the kitchen tap live but also exposed pipework running on walls in a utility room, and taps in that utility room and bathroom to be live, when there will be other earthed metalwork right next to it, such as from a washing machine, dryer, or similar appliance?
You are David Cockhead^H^H^H^Hburn and I claim my £5.

So if the lead pipe was to become live, you would quite happily grab the lead pipe in one hand and the copper pipe in the other?

Would it be possible for the short length of lead pipe to become live ?

There are only two conditions applicable to any metallic parts in any building, they are either permanently proven and visibly insulated from earth or permanently proven and visibly connected to earth.

So a fault will NEVER EVER happen where a metal item permanently proven and visibly insulated from earth becomes live as a result of that fault. Fault meaning a fault, failure or un-informed mis-use of equipment by the people living in the house.

Or do you believe that an installation should be designed to be safe only when there are no faults and can be allowed to become unsafe when a foreseeable but unwanted action happens.

The regulations and standards are at best GUIDELINES about a compromise "system" created to fit as many of the conflicting safety and economic requirements of domestic wiring.

somehow creating a "hybrid" earthing system which was a cross between TN-C-S and TT.

Perhaps the thin and often damaged / cut earthing bond from the neutral at the top pf the pole to the ground spike at the bottom is the only acceptable and effective way to earth the neutral in a PME system. Perhaps a customer having a circuit parallel to that bond will "confuse" the people testing the network. ( sarcasm OFF )

I would rather have confused technicians than a floating neutral being the only earth for an installation. True there is a danger of the cable between the customers MET and the customers earth rod having to carry very high currents in a network fault situation ( such as the earth bond on the pole being cut, corroded or othewise rendered non functional ).

Yet he was quite happy for the neutral/earth of a TN-C-S system to be bonded to a metallic water pipe buried in the ground.

A pipe is a pipe and a rod is a rod. That is written in the regs. do not question them, it will confuse people if they have to think about it.

Hello all. I'm working on a job at the moment which has had the mains cold water supply altered about and is need of main bonding.

There is a lead pipe coming out of the floor which is the main supply to the building. It used to feed straight into the old stop tap and out to the rest of the building.

As you can see this has been cut back and joined with an insulated connector before the stop tap.

How would you bond this installation?

320e17fd.jpg

just bond above the stop tap... trust me.. :)

just bond above the stop tap... trust me.. :)

But (as you can see) you are not allowed to make such an assertion without getting involved in pages and pages of involved cr@p.

But I agree with you, and that is what I said at the beginning of this.
Lets think about this.

What is more likely to happen:

A voltage on that 1" of exposed lead pipe from outside the house
or
A voltage on the copper pipes in the house provided, perhaps, by a faulty water pump or from any part of the house whose cpc is connected to the copper pipes.

OK, you've had the correct thought.

So, now, where do you put your bond.?

Correct - the connection shall be madeto the consumer's hard metal pipework in this case the copper pipes of the installation. Not the water company's lead pipe. That's where BS7671 says to put it. Show me where it says you must bond the incoming main anywhere else.
544.1.2 even has words that cover the issue of an insulating insert.
If you don't like the regs, or think you know better, go join the committee and get it changed.

I think you all need to consult the big green book, written by Mr Cockburn.

:eek:

What is more likely to happen:
A voltage on that 1" of exposed lead pipe from outside the house
or
A voltage on the copper pipes in the house provided, perhaps, by a faulty water pump or from any part of the house whose cpc is connected to the copper pipes.
So, now, where do you put your bond.?
Correct - the connection shall be madeto the consumer's hard metal pipework in this case the copper pipes of the installation.
I, for one, have been consistent in saying that I would want such bonding to be present (despite the detractors!) - but I cannot see that it qualifies as 'main protective bonding' as described in BS7671, since that hard metal pipework is not liable (capable) of introducing any potential into the premises. I therefore guess that it's technically 'supplementary bonding', and not actually required by BS7671.

Not the water company's lead pipe. That's where BS7671 says to put it. Show me where it says you must bond the incoming main anywhere else.
544.1.2 even has words that cover the issue of an insulating insert.
Those who wish to pedantically follow the word of 'the book' will argue that BS7671 does require main bonding of that tiny bit of lead pipe, since it does come with a 'liability to introduce a (earth) potential'. I'm not sure that the bit in 544.1.2 about insulating inserts actually gets the pedants off that hook. The wording is far from perfect, but what it seems to be saying is that if there is an insulating insert at the point of entry of the service into the premises, then one should connect to hard metal pipework on the consumer's side of the insulating insert - but that is not (quite) the situation we are discussing (it would be possible to connect to non-insulating pipework at the point of entry).

Like you, the only thing that matters to me is that there should be bonding to the premises' metal pipework, even though some people here regard that as unnecessary and some even suggest that it potentially reduces safety. Whether BS7671 technically requires bonding to that tiny piece of lead pipe is an irrelevance as far as I am concerned, but those who wish to be certain of compliance with BS7671 will probably want to include it. I certainly can't see that doing any harm.

Kind Regards, John

Buy a lead-loc and fit it yourself, bond within 600mm of the stop tap, have a sarnie and go home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back