Slimey Gits!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, saw an offer on Robert Dyas's new website for 20% off first orders before 30th September on everything in the store. This included the new TomTom One version 2 at £199 so effectively bringing the price down to £159.99.

I place the item in the basket and attempt to pay, but the payment screen falls over, so I ring customer services who suggest I try again in 10 minutes! I do just that, only the price has magically jumped up to £249.99 so I complain that they should honour my initial order! The manufacturers RRP is £199.99 and every store on the net I've seen is doing it for that price!!

They fob me off with some story about IT problems causing incorrect prices, and that I can make an order for the higher price if I wanted to - am I that stupid? :eek:

The 20% offer finishes and guess what?? The price is now £199.99 again - funny that hey?

Now customer services don't want to know so obvioulsy I'm not the only one to complain and it seems to me they "adjusted" the price to minimise losses because of an influx of orders!!

What a nice bunch of T#SSERS they employ at ROBERT DYAS!!! :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
Take it to TSO.

There are strict rules on how shops can manipulate "sale" prices, maybe they apply to UK based internet retailers.

ban-all-sheds said:
Take it to TSO.

There are strict rules on how shops can manipulate "sale" prices, maybe they apply to UK based internet retailers.

Indeed, there was a case a couple of years ago where an online retailer advertised a digital camera for £20, where it should have been £200, because someone had missed a zero off. A load of people placed an order before they noticed, and the store had to honour the £20 price, loosing £180 on each order :LOL:

Problem is unless you got a screenshot or printed out the page with the prior price on , you've got no evidence. something might happen if enough people tell the same story, but really it won't stand up in court will it?

Just vote with your wallet and never go back there + tell lots of people how you got stiched up by them, but I guess your on that one allready ;)

Sponsored Links
baldy01 said:
tell lots of people how you got stiched up by them, but I guess your on that one allready ;)
How? Has he posted it on a popular forum? :LOL:

crafty1289 said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Take it to TSO.

Indeed, there was a case a couple of years ago where an online retailer advertised a digital camera for £20, where it should have been £200, because someone had missed a zero off. A load of people placed an order before they noticed, and the store had to honour the £20 price, loosing £180 on each order :LOL:

That isn't correct. A retailer isn't bound by an price that is a mistake. A price is an invitation to offer - the retailer can then refuse that offer. Read a little Contractual Law.

robert dyas have done that to me before, their website is crap, falls over and you end up having to do it over the phone. You wont have a leg to stand on though. Until you get to the checkout stage and purchase it you havnt made the contract, and they can refuse to sell it at any stage until they accept your purchase. Offer and acceptance. Might be worth a ring about the advertising aspect of it though

joe-90 said:
crafty1289 said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Take it to TSO.

That isn't correct. A retailer isn't bound by an price that is a mistake. A price is an invitation to offer - the retailer can then refuse that offer. Read a little Contractual Law.

A retailer is NOT allowed to charge a higher price than the advertised. EVER. So therefore they couldn't extortionate the extra £180 out of these peoples' credit cards.

What you say is all well and good, but the invitation to offer thing - these people were hardly going to say "oh, i'll give you £200 for cash!" An offer is ALWAYS below the asking price. They were more likely to say "oh no, i want it at £15" under the "invitation to offer" thing.

they can simply say they wont sell it though, unless theyve taken the money from you.

Sponsored Links
Back