Slow broadband that keeps dropping out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there’s more testing that I could do but wanted to share the following in the hope that there are some tell tale signs on what may be at fault here.

My house has a main socket and from here I’ve daisy chained a number of extensions. The lead goes from here to slave extension 1, from there to 2 and so on. Each of the extensions support the phone absolutely fine.

Here’s my main socket:
120B546F-8AB7-403B-A5ED-D9E2DC6823D3.png

The extension from here is wired as follows:
964CC606-5E8A-4670-81DD-371BC4923E31.png

The other end of this is wired into the first extension socket. There is a micro filter here which is then cabled into my router.

My broadband connection is consistently at around 9MB and is guaranteed at around 20MB. It also frequently drops out and I’ve now traced this back to phone calls being received on our landline. There is no issue when the phone rings but once it is answered, the connection drops. I’ve tested this a few times.

I’d be grateful for any suggestions you may have. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Move the router to the master socket and use the top RJ11 socket. Your phone extensions (supposedly) have the ADSL signals filtered out by the Mk3 faceplate, it shouldn't work at all!

I can certainly test at Master socket but need to eventually place the router near the extension socket as this is where my switch is situated. The switch has cables for the Ethernet sockets distributed across the house.

Do I need to wire the extension cable differently?

Or, move your extension cable to the unfiltered IDC slots on the master, labelled A and B, and keep the router where it is and use microfilters still.

Can't see in your pic because of the angle, but does it have this...

mk3vdslplateidcterminals.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think it does @rsgaz and after seeing your image I have a recollection of wiring my cables into these ports. I think the image I posted above may be an earlier one.

Sorry to cause confusion! I will verify and come back to you.

That may also explain your earlier comment about no internet being available based on the wiring in my original image...

If it is wired into A and B as per your image, any suggestions on what may then be causing the drops when a phone call is received?

Thanks for your help.

From the NTE box detachable faceplate wire the phone extensions sockets - marked 2, 3, 5.
Wire a second (slave) socket, dedicated for the router use only from the IDC 'A+B' connections as circled in posting No4 above.
Multiple Micro filters and Capacitor/Resistors as found in master sockets will definitely degrade your BB performance.

@wgt52 I've not implemented your suggestion yet. Thought I'd share the below in case that changes the advice.
UPDATE: I've done some further testing today and wanted to provide an update and request your assistance again please.
My office connection, via ethernet (ethernet port at wall which is serviced by a Switch in the garage) provides 8MB download (guaranteed 20MB by broadband provider) and 7MB upload. I get the same speeds with wi-fi.
If I plug my laptop directly into the router via ethernet (in garage) I get the same speed as I do in the office. Note that the garage telephone socket is a slave and on the first hop from the master socket. The connection from here goes to a further extension socket in the house. Also, my router is using a microfilter at this location. As per earlier post, if I receive a call on my landline (plugged into another extension socket) and it is answered, my broadband connection drops. This is the case when directly plugged into the router or in my office.

I then moved to the Master socket and plugged the router directly into the RJ11 port. When connected via an ethernet or wi-fi, my speed was still the same as above. A call on the landline still caused the connection to drop.
Here is how the Master socket is currently wired. There is one cable in #3 of the detachable plate:
upload_2020-8-12_23-33-55.png

and a further two cables in A and B terminals:
upload_2020-8-12_23-34-42.png

I then called TalkTalk who made me go through all of these tests (and another 10!) and concluded that I am not getting my guaranteed speed of 20MB. They also identified during this troubleshooting that my landline (plugged into an extension socket) should be using a microfilter. Once I started using a microfilter on the landline, my connection no longer drops when I receive a call on my landline. I still have speeds of 8MB and TalkTalk have suggested that they have applied some updates to my router which may fix the issue. I am not convinced to be honest...

Please note that my main socket (as shown in pics) is providing a connection to the socket in my garage (router and switch are situated here). The garage socket provide a connection to my living room extension socket. My landline is plugged in here and is no using a microfilter. For completeness, this socket then hops on to 3 further sockets.

I would welcome any suggestions you may have. Thanks again.

Pull the orange wire(not cable :p) out of the IDC slot and leave it out. I doubt this will help much, but at least it will be correct.

And yes, you need a microfilter in any socket that is in use anywhere in the house.

"Guaranteed minimum speed". Hmmmm! :eek: How can they possibly know the condition of all the underground and/or overhead cables which make it all the way from your exchange to your house, parts of which could easily be half a century old. They won't keep on visiting or upgrading equipment for free to achieve those speeds quoted. All it means in reality is that you get to quit your contract early without penalty.

I'm working from memory here as I do not have a MK3 NTE (the 'Master' socket) to hand. With a NTE wired correctly you do not need additional filters.
The NTE connections A+B are the unfiltered line.
Connections 2 & 5 are the 'speech' pair (Blue/White; White/Blue wires respectively) and 3 is the 'Ring' or 'Bell' connection (Orange/White) those connections are on the filtered side of the NTE.
Are your extension sockets are sockets designed for use as extension sockets and NOT more Master sockets - That will definitely affect your BB performance - particularly if wired wrongly.
N.B. I see from comments on other parts of the web that the Ring wire is not always necessary and can affect BB performance. I can only suggest you try it with the orange wire disconnected to see if any of your 'phones do not ring - in which case you do need it connected. Also check that the connection colours are consistent in all sockets.

Last edited:
Jupiter, try just removing the orange wire for now and report back. After, seeing as you don't want your router at your master, you should follow wgt52's suggestion in post 6 and distribute the signals separately. After which...
With a NTE wired correctly you do not need additional filters.

...is right, you won't need the filters. You just fit an RJ11 socket where the router is and jelly crimp the phone wires straight through to the living room, assuming you don't want a phone in the garage.

Last edited:
Jupiter, try just removing the orange wire for now and report back

The orange wire has been removed from terminal 3 and to my surprise, the landline still rings. I could have sworn that this cable was put in because the phone wasn't ringing when I did this over a year ago...

Anyways, the landline still requires the microfilter. If I plug the landline directly into the extension socket, my internet connection drops when a call is received. The download and upload speeds remain unchanged.

I thought I'd take small steps to make sure I am not missing anything. I think you have then suggested that I replace the telephone extension socket in my garage with a RJ11 socket. I would be grateful for your elaboration on this step if it is still warranted. Thanks again.

Also, just so I am keeping pace with this. The fact that the speed is low (same as when it's in an extension) when the router is plugged directly into the RJ11 on the master socket, presumably points to the fault with the provider e.g. line coming in, master socket or the router. If this is the case, the steps we are going through are to optimise the setup within my house. I can't see how this will significantly increase the speed. have I understood this correctly?

You should fit the router plugged into the Master, then run LAN cables from the router to any locations where You may need Internet access.

Harry's guidance good how ever I guess you are not to happy doing that.
So for best help from rsgaz and myself please can you ensure you only have one master socket. And the subsequent sockets are all extension sockets.

My garage has the router and switch. The switch then feeds ethernet sockets around the house. It's all installed in a cabinet and easy to maintain. My master socket is behind a sofa in the living room.

I would prefer to have this working with the current setup if possible please.

I can confirm that apart from the one Master socket, all others are slave sockets. Happy to send a picture of one if that helps with the verification.

I can confirm that apart from the one Master socket, all others are slave sockets. Happy to send a picture of one if that helps with the verification.

Are you happy to acquire some telephone cable (4 or 6 wire BT CW1308)? Or some CAT5 cable?

At the master socket your pictures above show 2 cables in the IDC pair labeled A+B. but it looks like there are more than 2 cables behind the socket. Remove the master socket from the back box and check to see where the incoming Dropwire/UG feed connects. Also let us know where the 2 cables in IDC A+B go to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back