Slow toilet cistern fill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, have had trouble with the toilet filling the cistern since I moved in and now really need to sort. It's taking about 20 mins to refill cistern.

The water comes in at the bottom. I disconnected the float completely, but even at max fill, doesn't seem to let much through.

I looked on screw fix and could see a bottom filling option of slightly different design at not much cost, but before I start dismantling or swapping completely, wanted to check if this type is easy to clean/adjust?

It has an isolation valve on the cold water supply which should make things easier.

Advice appreciated, not a plumbing expert!

Sponsored Links
Many things...

Is it mains cold or tank?

Could have grit in the valve, or a mains restrictor fitted when tank fed.

Many things...

Is it mains cold or tank?

Could have grit in the valve, or a mains restrictor fitted when tank fed.

I think it's mains. There's no tank in the loft.

Can this be dismantled without taking out of the cistern?
Where the water comes out, it looks like the round component with grooves on will unscrew.

Needs a new diaphragm

Can this be swapped?

Sponsored Links
For Slow toilet cistern fill, resolve the problem with these simple steps.

• Verify the valve that turns the water flow on for the toilet is open fully and the line is free of debris. Turn the handle clockwise to shut down the flow and loosen calcium buildup inside the valve.
  • Insert the fill line into the bucket and turn on the water to clear the line of debris. Reattach the fill line to the tank and reopen the valve.
  • Flush the toilet to check water flow. Use a sponge to soak up any spills.
  • Turn on the water and adjust the float as needed for filling. There is a small metal flange that you hold together to move it along an arm that sets the float level adjustment. Release it to reset the float level. Flush the toilet to check for leaks and tank filling.

As mentioned by previous posts it will be 100% the diaphragm, common issue with siamp ballvalve. They can be replaced and quite an easy job for a diy fix.

Rubbish float valves, replace with a Fluidmaster Pro45B - City Plumbing currently have them on offer for about £11+vat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back