Small amount of water under laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My washing machine had been leaking for about a month - discovered a week ago. The only lasting damage I can see is that a couple of bits of the laminate flooring have raised at the edges, as shown in the picture:

//www.diynot.com/network/bobster4321/albums/

The flooring doesn't seem to have got any worse since I stopped the leak but there is a slight squishing noise when i apply pressure to the problem area.

Could anyone advise me whether there are likely to be any further problems with closeby sections of laminate, and what action I should take, if any, in due course.

Luckily, it is only a small section, normally covered by a chair, so although it looks bad, i don't want to replace it unless other problems are likely.

Many thanks for any help offered![/img]

Sponsored Links
Your underlayment may still be soaked with water, further damaging your floor over time.
Best to get a board out, see how far the water has really gone and try to remove all water.

thanks! have done that - was very damp. now drying the affected area. is there a specific laminate glue that i would need to use to stick down new sheets?

Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same problem in my kitchen. I expect that you'll find that the water has travelled some distance under the floor. If you leave it or don't dry it out properly then it'll start to stink and may attract wood lice or other insects attracted to the damp.

The only solution I could think of (other than riping the whole lot out) is to shove some bricks under the floor to lift it a few inches and then get a fan blowing air underneath to try and dry it out. Mine took several days to dry out properly.

After putting the floor back together a few weeks later the washer leaked again!

In the end I just ripped the lot out and learnt my lesson ... laminate and kitchens don't go! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back