small felt roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning to fit plastic fascia around this small section of flat roof (over bay window) and thought it would be sensible to replace the felt at the same time. It's been there for at least 15 years.

My plan was to remove everything and the replace the OSB Boards of necessary. I've never torched felt and am not comfortable with that method. I was wondering if it would acceptable to nail it with felt nails.

Also, how do I achieve those ends of the felt that are overhanging?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0065[1].JPG
    IMG_0065[1].JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 303
Sponsored Links
No to felt nails. Get cold bond self-adhesive felt.

Don't forget to form a proper edge drip detail to stop all that awful staining.

Thanks @^woody^.
Do I jus remove one of the cladding panels and fold the felt underneath it - for weather proofing?

On the formed edges, do you advise the use of battens that you can fold the felt over and under?

Have a Google for typical flat roof details - abutment with a fillet or cocking strip, and the batten to form the drip.

The new felt should be turned up the house wall and if their is a membrane this goes over the felt upstand.

Look how the drip is formed - tacked to a batten, drops down about 20mm, and then bend up vertically and back over the flat roof. Might need a bit of heat to soften it for bending, but it depends how flexible it is.

Sponsored Links
I was beginning to wonder if that’s more suitable given that the felt I a contemplating is adhesive bond anyway. I also assume the edges will be easier to do with EPDM. If I’m not mistaken, EPDM could be a cheaper option too?

I was beginning to wonder if that’s more suitable given that the felt I a contemplating is adhesive bond anyway. I also assume the edges will be easier to do with EPDM. If I’m not mistaken, EPDM could be a cheaper option too?

Its certainly easier to diy.

I fitted EPDM on a gardem studio, its come out pretty good. Ive noticed a few small bubbles appeaer since it was fitted, they seem to appear when its hot.

I used the water based deck adhesive on both roof and rubber and it stuck much better. Use the contact adhesive around the perimeter.

I didnt use the proper trims, I screwed on white upvc 45mm x 8mm trim and glued the EPDM onto it, then trimmed it off flat to the bottom. My project was a roof discharging into a gutter all the way around.

You can buy trims of course.

Just be aware EPDM is not one massive sheet, its mede into a huge sheet by factory made seams, so there is a chance any piece of rubber you buy might have a seam, which is fine, but it makes it a bit more diffifult to fit some edge trims.

You do get a 1 piece roof with no joins done on site which is good for diy.

I used rubber4roofs

I'm all for EPDM, but wondered if you could get such a small area of material plus small quantities of glue at a reasonable cost.

I've done both my EPDM jobs with materials from Rubba-seal. They sell it by the square metre, same for any size order I think. Various sizes of glue. Watch the instructional videos, and if you have a modicum of skills it's hard to go wrong. Subject to having a dry substrate on good condition, of course

I am preferring the option of a EPDM. I feel it will be simpler, neater and possibly cheaper too.
On the edging details, I have a couple of questions please:

- I assume the fascia boards go on first and the epdm and edging details second?
- Some videos use a 2x1 batten that goes around the perimeter. Presumably the top of this batten is flush with the OSB board and hence it just provides some epdm overhang once it is wrapped around the batten?
- on edging trim, I can see in the Rubba-Seal videos that there is a trim, I can use on the side of my small roof but I am struggling to understand which trim I should use at the front of my small roof? I don't have a gutter and most of these trims have a slight lip which will presumably mean that water is held up in the roof? I would have thought that this end needs to be flush to allow water to run off

Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back