Small kitchen extractor fan

I had a similar issue, cooker in old chimney breast, no other venting option, all experts recommend having an extractor that is super powerful and possibly something mounted on the chimney pot too, As a part time bodger I found the Vortice 'Vort Kappa' extractor fan fits into my small chimney in the kitchen and vents up an old metal liner. It's a square ugly white extractor fan but it all hides away up inside the chimney (pic attached of mine). This fan is the only size I found that would fit, I had no alternative to running the extractor and agree with comments that extracting up the chimney line can result in condensation and grease running back down....I have filter material in my Vortex and that captures most grease and the steam and easily replaced. It has 2 speeds if wired correctly although I only have it wired for max speed. It's noisy but does seem to extract up the chimney.

it was one of dirtiest jobs I've done, head up in chimney fitting battens inside to mount the fan to... uneven bricks as you'd expect inside, nasty job but once done it has been pretty good and better than no fan. I at least had the benefit of no worktop when I fitted mine so could stand upright with head in chimney while I fitted it in!

https://www.fastlec.co.uk/vortice-v...mYw_-vnvkfLl3Z8ghpuU6CBxYNnnZf04aAq3vEALw_wcB
https://www.vortice.ltd.uk/shop/residential-ventilation/vort-kappa/vort-kappa-2/

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_150032.jpg
    IMG_20200315_150032.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ok I *think* I'm being a bit dim.
So I close the chimney off above the extractor and ventilate through the side of the chimney.
The first unit shown is secured to the rear 'wall' inside the chimney, above where the canopy goes, and attaches to the ducting.
Then a canopy goes flush below which contains the various filters and lights.
So there's a void between the canopy and the chimney seal where the extractor unit sits against the 'wall', which is just where air is pulled through to be extracted.
I don't seem to be able to find canopy's on their own as such. They seem to be integrated with an extractor and are too big.

I had a similar issue, cooker in old chimney breast, no other venting option, all experts recommend having an extractor that is super powerful and possibly something mounted on the chimney pot too, As a part time bodger I found the Vortice 'Vort Kappa' extractor fan fits into my small chimney in the kitchen and vents up an old metal liner. It's a square ugly white extractor fan but it all hides away up inside the chimney (pic attached of mine). This fan is the only size I found that would fit, I had no alternative to running the extractor and agree with comments that extracting up the chimney line can result in condensation and grease running back down....I have filter material in my Vortex and that captures most grease and the steam and easily replaced. It has 2 speeds if wired correctly although I only have it wired for max speed. It's noisy but does seem to extract up the chimney.

it was one of dirtiest jobs I've done, head up in chimney fitting battens inside to mount the fan to... uneven bricks as you'd expect inside, nasty job but once done it has been pretty good and better than no fan. I at least had the benefit of no worktop when I fitted mine so could stand upright with head in chimney while I fitted it in!

https://www.fastlec.co.uk/vortice-v...mYw_-vnvkfLl3Z8ghpuU6CBxYNnnZf04aAq3vEALw_wcB
https://www.vortice.ltd.uk/shop/residential-ventilation/vort-kappa/vort-kappa-2/

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_150032.jpg
    IMG_20200315_150032.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 85
spannerzone,
what a great design, and nice selection of an extractor for purpose.

however, in neither of your posts or the OP's posts do i see that any extractor is connected to a SS liner for vertical, up the flue extraction - or ducting for sideways extraction?

extracting up a chimney breast flue without using a liner is sometimes the cause of fires.
all flues whether you intend to use them or not must be pre-swept and through vented.
unswept, unvented flues can make a liquid chemical that might show up on any decorated surface.

just saying but still impressed with the design and finish - great job.

Sponsored Links
spannerzone,
what a great design, and nice selection of an extractor for purpose.

however, in neither of your posts or the OP's posts do i see that any extractor is connected to a SS liner for vertical, up the flue extraction - or ducting for sideways extraction?

extracting up a chimney breast flue without using a liner is sometimes the cause of fires.
all flues whether you intend to use them or not must be pre-swept and through vented.
unswept, unvented flues can make a liquid chemical that might show up on any decorated surface.

just saying but still impressed with the design and finish - great job.

Yep I installed this knowing that the fan isn't rated for that amount of travel up the stainless steel liner that's in place but couldn't find any alternative other than having some external chimney pot mounted fan which wasn't really viable.... I can't disagree that it could be a risk so I regularly check for grease and the extra filters I use help stop grease going up the liner. I would have preferred to have the extraction come out the side of the chimney and outside at kitchen level (over the top of the kitchen cabinets and through the outside wall) but a lean-to extension was in the way.

I'm the first to admit it's far from ideal but I think with care and attention is better than no extraction fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back