Small tiny bumps in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was viewing a flat today in London (built in the late 90s) and everything went really well.

The only issue is the ceiling around the apartment (not just in the bathroom) is filled with tiny small bumps.

I was afraid it was mould etc so I climbed up to touch it but it was hard and did not seem moist. The agent mentioned that its how buildings were built in the 90s and if it really bothered me, those bumps can just be scrapped off.

Does anyone know what this is / if its an issue?

Thanks!

2ebc64ec-75dd-4c96-9823-5363099e6a96.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg
IMG_0166.jpg

Sponsored Links
iamlovinit05, good evening.

Looks a bit like some form of "decorative" material that was applied either very poorly, or this material was then partly removed?

Artex springs to mind as does "polyripple" a material applied like paint with "bits" in it to provide a textured finish.

Ken.

iamlovinit05, good evening.

Looks a bit like some form of "decorative" material that was applied either very poorly, or this material was then partly removed?

Artex springs to mind as does "polyripple" a material applied like paint with "bits" in it to provide a textured finish.

Ken.

Thanks Ken!

Any idea how I can get this tested? Would a surveyor know what to look for?

I don't really care if its a "decorative" material as I can just get it removed (although am aware that since this is built in the late 90s, there could be an issue with Asbestos if it is index Artex). But am more worried if its an underlying issue.

When i went to touch it, it was all hard (not hollow) and did not feel moist.

Thanks!

iamlovinit05, good evening, again.

Are you planning on purchasing this property?

Loads of firms on the internet offering a testing service by post.

Check out the "search" function, top right of this page for threads as regards testing.

As for removal, if the material is indeed Chrysotile [Asbestos] is a so called white asbestos, the most benign of this sort of material, removal? face mask + wallpaper steam stripper and a scraper. the actual volume of ASBESTOS material in Artex is very low, your ceiling has a sporadic covering so the risk if indeed the material is ASBESTOS reduces dramatically.

Ken

Sponsored Links
iamlovinit05, good evening, again.

Are you planning on purchasing this property?

Loads of firms on the internet offering a testing service by post.

Check out the "search" function, top right of this page for threads as regards testing.

As for removal, if the material is indeed Chrysotile [Asbestos] is a so called white asbestos, the most benign of this sort of material, removal? face mask + wallpaper steam stripper and a scraper. the actual volume of ASBESTOS material in Artex is very low, your ceiling has a sporadic covering so the risk if indeed the material is ASBESTOS reduces dramatically.

Ken

Good Evening Ken,

Yes, I really liked it and so made an offer on it today (Seller has not yet accepted / rejected it yet).

Made an offer this afternoon as the agent assured me that there was no issues with the ceiling (and that other flats have it as well) so I didn't think too much of it. Just started googling when I got home and found conflicting thoughts from different people hence trying to understand if its really an issue!

Thanks

agent assured me that there was no issues with the ceiling (and that other flats have it as well)
The estate agent will tell you almost anything to get you to agree to a sale.
I don't know what that is on the ceiling but surely it's not a deliberate decorative feature? It looks to me like a layer of paint that has reacted to whatever's beneath it. I have a couple of patches like that on one ceiling in my house.

It might be a concrete ceiling ( fire proofing between floors) and its reacted with something over time. I'm sure it will scrape off and then you can paint over it.

The estate agent will tell you almost anything to get you to agree to a sale.
I don't know what that is on the ceiling but surely it's not a deliberate decorative feature? It looks to me like a layer of paint that has reacted to whatever's beneath it. I have a couple of patches like that on one ceiling in my house.

Yea thats why I'm taking whatever they say with a pinch of salt!

Does your patches look similar to the ones i took the picture of? Are you intending to remove it or just leave it alone?

It might be a concrete ceiling ( fire proofing between floors) and its reacted with something over time. I'm sure it will scrape off and then you can paint over it.

If thats the case I have nothing to worry about.

Was just worried that it could be something more nefarious

Sellers are obligated to disclose the presence of any asbestos they are aware of.

Estate agents are obligated to query the potential presence of asbestos and notify the buyers that there may be some present if they suspect it - ie properties built at a certain time. Not just "Oh that's just how they were built in the 90's and they can be scraped off" - that's a terrible thing to say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back