Smallest stud depth for aqua panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the walls bar one of our bathroom are stud walls. Typically the wall that is block work is the wall I want to install aqua panels (as that's where the bath / shower will be).

My question is what is the min depth the studs can be to install aqua panels? I know they recommend building up the studs using 2"x4"s but room depth is a little tight so could you use slightly small depth batons on the block work (like 1" square or even 2"x3"s)?

Many thanks

(sorry for the repost, someone pointed out that his would be a better place for this kind of post)

Sponsored Links
In spite of what Knauf say, you can fix Aquapanels directly to the wall.

Ok, that aside I'm going to build up a stud anyway. So as I'm going to be doing that what min depth does there have to be?

Sponsored Links
The battens must be deep enough to accept the length of screws you’re going to use. If using Aquapanel screws which (I believe) are 40mm long, you would need a 30mm deep batten. The screws should penetrate a minimum 2 x the thickness of the panel so the minimum length screws would be 38mm & the batten depth required would be 26mm to prevent the screws binding on the wall. Battens should be 50mm wide, or the screws will be too close to the edge of the boards.

But why choose battens over direct fixing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back