Smart Casual

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, here's my problem.

I've been invited to the night do of my friends wedding next week.

I asked her what the dress code is, and she said "smart casual"

Now unfortunatly, being a numb tradesman, this really doesn't mean much to me. I can do casual, and I can do smart, but how do I do both at the same time?

I'm thinking smart black trousers, nice blue shirt, clean shoes and maybe a suit jacket, but no tie. I have promised her I will have a shave aswell :LOL:

Does that sound about right? Why can't they just say suit and tie, or jeans and a tee-shirt? That would make life so much easier!

Sponsored Links
You've hit the nail on the head.

Smart = whistle and tie

Casual = jeans and t-shirt

Smart casual = no jeans or t-shirt, no suit, no tie. Halfway between i.e. trousers, shirt [can be short -sleeved!!]

Obviously, shoes not trainers......... :D

What about a pair of jeans without your ass hanging out. :LOL: :LOL:
We have a local pub that will not allow white trainers but will allow every other colour or connatation. They even allow the guys with white trainers to take there socks off and put over the trainers . Providing they are not white socks. :confused: What a joke

Sponsored Links
Now unfortunatly, being a numb tradesman, this really doesn't mean much to me. I can do casual, and I can do smart, but how do I do both at the same time?

Option A - wetsuit and French knickers.

Option B - chinos, open neck shirt with button down collar, Timberland/Rockport style shoes, blazer/jacket

I'm thinking smart black trousers, nice blue shirt, clean shoes and maybe a suit jacket, but no tie. I have promised her I will have a shave aswell :LOL:
Suit jackets always look like they are missing the other half of the suit... Blazer or tailored jacket not meant to be part of a suit is better.

a jacket that is not a suit jacket would be better, if you have one (woollen sort of jacket, not fleece or anorak sort of thing).

looks better if jacket is darker than your trousers (I don't know why, but it does) so I would suggest grey trs not black. A pressed crease is good. crumpled is bad.

if you wear a tie, a darker shade than your shirt. A shirt that is intended to be worn with a tie has a different sort of collar and looks wrong without one (and vice versa)

you can polish your shoes too. if "smart" a tip is to wear socks that are either the same colour as your shoes (black is easy) or the same colour as your trousers. Nor everyone knows that.

What part of the country are you going out in Rob?
Was at a stag nite a few weeks back in M'boro, anything over and above dress jeans and a shirt and I felt over dressed :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back