Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have had a search through previous posts and google, but everything I find seems to get me more confused.

I have just had a new Vaillant boiler fitted, an ecoTEC plus 838 combi. It is just the boiler at present, operated by the controls on the front only.

My plumber is offering to fit a Hive, so I said I would have a read about it and alternatives. It looks like I need something that is uses eBus, is this correct? Hive and Nest dont seem too, which would mean that can only turn the boiler on/off, instead of providing modulation. Options for ebus seem to be Vaillants own controller and app, which is pretty dated looking and has terrible reviews for the app. Tado claim to be compatible with eBus, so that is a possibility. There also seems to be an option for installing something that translate eBus to opentherm, but this would invalidate the warranty so I am not interested in that.

Anyone got any advice on what smart control to buy for this boiler in order to get the most out of it? Any pros and cons would be great. Getting a bit lost in it all!!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You’re completely correct, ebus would modulate the boiler better, but as you’ve seen are only Vaillant’s own controls. All others would be on/off with some being TPI. If Tado is compatible then, that’s an Avenue you could explore.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back