Smart light switch on mains appliance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

What I want to do:
I want to be able to turn my towel rad on remotely.

What I have:
I have a wall switch with a fuse box which turns on power to the towel rad electric element.

I have purchased several smart Wi-Fi light switches to replace my old ones and am wondering if I could use one of these to be able to turn the power on to that particular appliance?

I don’t think I can, my basic knowledge lends me to believe that the appliance requires a fuse and that thee power cables are different?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I have looked up spec for my light switches
Rating:
250 V~ 50/60 Hz 4 A
Max Load:
600 W LED / 600W CFL / 1000W INC / 1000W FTL / 50 W Fan
This seems rather low for a towel rail, but you have not said what size it is, so likely would need to be a relay or socket or socket adaptor.

The problem with a socket is needs to be 3 meters from bath or shower, or in another room, it can be done, but not sure any real reason to do it?

There are basic three types of electronic light switch, ones using a neutral, ones using batteries, and ones using current through the appliance to supply power to the switch, the latter tend to auto switch off with no load, so once the thermostat activates the switch would switch off.

Seems likely a Sonoff relay would work, but most seem to need hubs of some sort, so selection is down to what you have now, and what you want latter, if I was starting again I would not use Energenie, but these were early smart devices, they may have improved now, also not keen on Lidi stuff as when it's gone it's gone, so hard to replace, although zigbee is reasonably standard. I am leaning towards Tapo now, but too early to know how good.

It is the interconnection which is important, when some one rings the door bell the light comes on, maybe no need for door bell, maybe PIR is better? But where do you stop, a Nest Mini at door so visitor can say hey google broadcast is any one home? Or at least when door push pressed google gives a message they is some one at your door?

But why do you want a towel rail on wifi control?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back