Smart meter... To install or not to install?

Sponsored Links
Energy monitors had a brief moment of popularity. People look at them for a while, then they lose interest. That's why the one I'm looking at now cost me less than a tenner on fleabay.

Well, it's easy to criticise, JohnD. What's your answer then?

You think I need an answer for not spending billions on a short-term hardware change with no benefit to the customer?

I have a feeling, that in opening this thread, i peeled back an old scabby, infected wound. So.. sorry..

In other news. My smart meters are getting installed sept. 4th. :D

How big are they? Or are they straight, swap outs? As ive boxed and couperderd (deffently NOT a word) my meters.

Understandable if they want me to dismantle the boxing in, as long as the new meter is roughly the same size, so i can put it back together.

Sponsored Links
Smaller. My smart electricity meter is roughly 70% the size of the old meter and my gas one is roughly 40% the size of the old one. Then there's the transmitter they are both linked to. That's just a bit thicker than a couple of packets of fags stood on top of each other. You get another unit that you can (optionally) plug into the mains (or use batteries if you want) that picks up and displays data of electrics/gas that you have/are using. You don't have to use it though and I'd advise JohnD not to look as it might fry his eyes or read his brain (if it can locate it).

Energy monitors had a brief moment of popularity. People look at them for a while, then they lose interest. That's why the one I'm looking at now cost me less than a tenner on fleabay.
I got mine for 'free'. In fact, whilst you bought your own, you also contributed to mine! Thanks.

You will find a lot of older and scared of change people will reply to this with all the things they think may happen but never actually have.

The worst thing about a smart meter is being fitted poorly as per featured on watchdog. If the cable for the electric are not done up tight can cause arcing and maybe lead to a fire etc.

I told my current supplier if they don't come and fit my smart meter soon I would leave them. I have had it fitted and is superb. I get an online usage chart shows my usage on a half hour basis (you can change it) so I know when I am spanking the electric. I pay for actually what I use so no estimated bills all in all I am very happy.
lamchamps. When you say you pay for what you actually use, is that because you don't pay by monthly direct debit. Or does your supplier change your monthly DD to reflect actual useage.

lamchamps. When you say you pay for what you actually use, is that because you don't pay by monthly direct debit. Or does your supplier change your monthly DD to reflect actual useage.

My direct debit changes every month so I pay for what I have used. For instance - One month £42, second month £58, third month £35 etc etc.

Oh thats cool.

And hey, if its ok, could you (for comparison) tell me how big a house you are in and people living there?

For instance.. im south birmingham, 3 bed house and its just the 2 of us living here.

Cheers again lamchaps

Are they good? Yes, if you are happy with supplier being able to disconnect you at will.
Are they worth it? At £0.00 --Nothing in life is free. You just don't see the bill.
Are they accurate? As any other meter
Does it help you realize where and when and how to save energy? No more than being able to read the label on your appliance.

PLEASE, ONLY comment if you currently DO HAVE one. I dont want to read any rumours or scaremongering.

+++Genuine consumers reviews only please+++

At the moment, we have standard meters, we pay monthly DD and evry now and then, we give meter readings and either we pay them more, or they pay us back. This will continue

Cheers guys[/QUOTE]

Are they good? Yes, if you are happy with supplier being able to disconnect you at will. JUST WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT - OUT OF SPITE?
Are they worth it? At £0.00 --Nothing in life is free. You just don't see the bill. DOES'NT MATTER WHETHER THEY ARE WORTH IT YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE ONE ANYWAY.
Are they accurate? As any other meter. CORRECT
Does it help you realize where and when and how to save energy? No more than being able to read the label on your appliance. SO, WE JUST NEED TO GO AROUND NOTING DOWN THE WATTAGE OF EVERY APPLIANCE WE HAVE, THEN SET A TIMER FOR EACH APPLIANCE WE HAVE ON AND CALCULATE THE USEAGE, 24/7, THAT WAY? NO THANKS!

PLEASE, ONLY comment if you currently DO HAVE one. I dont want to read any rumours or scaremongering.

At the moment, we have standard meters, we pay monthly DD and evry now and then, we give meter readings and either we pay them more, or they pay us back. This will continue. EXCEPT WE DONT NEED TO GIVEVREADINGS OR LET ANYONE IN OUR HOUSE TO TAKE THEM. YOU CAN ALWAYS INCREASE OR DECREASE THE PAYMENTS AS YOU WISH.

Cheers guys
[/QUOTE]

Are they good? Yes, if you are happy with supplier being able to disconnect you at will. JUST WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT - OUT OF SPITE?
Are they worth it? At £0.00 --Nothing in life is free. You just don't see the bill. DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER THEY ARE WORTH IT YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE ONE ANYWAY.
Are they accurate? As any other meter. CORRECT
Does it help you realize where and when and how to save energy? No more than being able to read the label on your appliance. SO, WE JUST NEED TO GO AROUND NOTING DOWN THE WATTAGE OF EVERY APPLIANCE WE HAVE, THEN SET A TIMER FOR EACH APPLIANCE WE HAVE ON AND CALCULATE THE USEAGE, 24/7, THAT WAY? NO THANKS!

At the moment, we have standard meters, we pay monthly DD and evry now and then, we give meter readings and either we pay them more, or they pay us back. This will continue. EXCEPT WE DONT NEED TO GIVEVREADINGS OR LET ANYONE IN OUR HOUSE TO TAKE THEM. YOU CAN ALWAYS INCREASE OR DECREASE THE PAYMENTS AS YOU WISH.

Cheers guys

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...or-not-to-install.486667/page-2#ixzz4pGtzbPDm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back