Smart Meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has probably been discussed before on this site somewhere so I apologise in advance.

I am being bombarded with emails, letters, texts and calls from my energy supplier encouraging me to have a smart meter.

Every year I use U-Switch and go for the best deal out there, so generally I change my energy supplier every year.

If I have a smart meter with one energy supplier am I tied in to that energy supplier? I gather that smart meters fitted by one supplier can't be used with another energy supplier. Is this correct?

If the usual suspects comedians and pathological arguers could please refrain. Constructive answers only please.

Sponsored Links
U can switch, if you do, it may become a dumb smart meter.

think about the benefit to you - is there one?

This has probably been discussed before on this site somewhere so I apologise in advance.
Yes, do a search - lots.

I am being bombarded with emails, letters, texts and calls from my energy supplier encouraging me to have a smart meter.
That fact alone should indicate that it might not be to your benefit.

Every year I use U-Switch and go for the best deal out there, so generally I change my energy supplier every year.
If I have a smart meter with one energy supplier am I tied in to that energy supplier?
No.

I gather that smart meters fitted by one supplier can't be used with another energy supplier. Is this correct?
I believe so - not that smart.

And they've now admitted that the cost of installing smart meters is going to rocket to the point where the saving made will be less than the cost that's been added to your bill. You will very likely never recoup the cost of them, but hey, even if you have to get it changed every time you change suppliers, you still won't have to bother with meter readings again.

Sponsored Links
Smart Meters are optional and I do not intend having one fitted. It takes me 5 minutes to read my own meters and submit them online.

If I have a smart meter with one energy supplier am I tied in to that energy supplier? I gather that smart meters fitted by one supplier can't be used with another energy supplier. Is this correct?

If the usual suspects comedians and pathological arguers could please refrain. Constructive answers only please.

:ROFLMAO:

ironically i sprout the fact you can be cut off remotely as a good reason not to have a smart meter
now i am present having problems due to automation :D
i give an accurate reading every 21st off the month to my account
my gas boiler failed end off november and took around 4 weeks to get sorted so my electric consumption more than doubled and nearly zero gas for december reading
now the automated system took my higher electric reading to reprizent an increase in overall power consumption off more than double for both gas and electric so my near zero gas consumption was double a normal amount
contacted iresa and they canceled the bill but didnt reset automated system
roll on a month boiler working electric consumption back to normal the system carries on doubling the gas consumption overruling my actual readings :D
not only that it overrides my electric readings and keeps assuming the higher level:rolleyes:
they think i owe them over £100 when in fact the owe me around £40(y)
any way the point i am making is this cant happen with smart meters but i will still avoid one
and as you would expect i have just changed supplier

I will steer well clear of smart meters and the more someone tries to force it on me, the more I will resist.

Sponsored Links
Back