Electric Meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question how often should meters be changed?
The reason I ask is because the company I'm with has seriously underestimated what I'm using I pay by DD £128 a month for electric only I have gas central heating, and an electric shower.dishwasher, washing machine, etc the usual.
OK It's a three bed detached with 2 teenagers. When I rang up to ask how come, the woman took the readings and said thats odd I also mentioned that the meter had not been changed since prior to 1987 when we moved in.
She cut the DD to £70 and ordered a meter change for next week and rather than be in debit I'm now in credit to the tune of £127.
Just seems a bit odd is an old meter likely to run fast.

TIA

Sponsored Links
You are one lucky SOB most suppliers would take the highest reading and backdate it as far as they could and hit you with a knockout bill.

Old meters were not really watt/hour meters but amp/hour meters and as long as the voltage remained within limits there was not a problem. But if there is a volt drop you pay for power you had not used.

To give a low reading your meter wouldn't be running fast, it would be slow which is highly unlikely.

You can do a quick calibration check. Switch everything off and disconnect all appliances. Connect a 1 kW heater and check what the reading shows. eg 1 kW heater for 0.25 hours = 0.25 kWh on your meter, for 30 mins = 0.5 kWh.

Best wishes

Sparky3

Sponsored Links
I'm confused - if they have underestimated your use then reducing the monthly payment will put you more adrift, not less....

Just a quick question how often should meters be changed?
The reason I ask is because the company I'm with has seriously underestimated what I'm using I pay by DD £128 a month for electric only I have gas central heating, and an electric shower.dishwasher, washing machine, etc the usual.
OK It's a three bed detached with 2 teenagers. When I rang up to ask how come, the woman took the readings and said thats odd I also mentioned that the meter had not been changed since prior to 1987 when we moved in.
She cut the DD to £70 and ordered a meter change for next week and rather than be in debit I'm now in credit to the tune of £127.
Just seems a bit odd is an old meter likely to run fast.

TIA

Care to re-explain that? :confused:

What was your monthly direct debit? What was this time's bill? Was the bill more or less than you expected?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back