Smart Meter ...

Correct. There is no downside. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

Who really wants to read their meter in any case? Do all the smart meter luddites fear the energy companies knowing what they use? Hang on - surely they get that info' as soon as a reading is submitted in any case?

WTF are you smart meter luddites actually afraid of?

Lols.
I wouldn't consider myself a luddite as such, I just don't see any real benefit for me. I don't need to know that my power consumption spikes when I boil the kettle, it won't make me boil the kettle less. I don't get asked for readings monthly, I think it's quarterly at most. Having a quick squint in the elec cupboard and popping out to the gas meter then submitting the readings (online) takes me prob 5 mins in total if that.

So for me it's not a case of being afraid, in my scenario there are zero benefits.

I wonder if they're installed by default in new houses?

Sponsored Links
Also please state what you think are the benefits to the user of smart meters.
Me personally? Our electric meter is in a real pants place and was a pig to access and read.

I'm not sure there are any benefits other than the whole meter reading thing. Does there need to be any other benefits? I'm cock-a-hoop with ours - both of them. I'm glad I don't have to read the meter ever again.

Will you not check the meter reading to make sure it is correct?

Well, one benefit of no one having a smart meter would be NOT being charged the £400 pounds which has been added to everyone's bills to pay for them - by the government.

Have not got one

But Imho the gas meters are a good idea

Generate bit of work for us :LOL:

Fitter turns up and shuts the gas supply down for a 1 millibar pressure drop

We get the call ;)

Any type of stain above boiler on the wall or on the casing results in shut down

We get call ;)

Sponsored Links
Will you not check the meter reading to make sure it is correct?

Well, one benefit of no one having a smart meter would be NOT being charged the £400 pounds which has been added to everyone's bills to pay for them - by the government.

One further "benefit" which will happen, once roll out is complete, is that you will be charged a premium rate at premium usage times.

It was originally intended that power companies would pass on any savings......:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Will you not check the meter reading to make sure it is correct
What like I used to check and calibrate the old meter - lol.

Like we've always paid for the improvements and upkeep of the network you mean?

:rolleyes:

Like we've always paid for the improvements and upkeep of the network you mean?
That was the standing charge, you still pay that as well as the extra 8% to satisfy Greta Thunderbird and subsidise all the non payers.
Just checked, 13% for Greta, it also goes towards FIT for people with solar panels etc feeding back into the grid.

Last edited:
Our electric meter is in a real pants place and was a pig to access and read
I forgot that as a benefit. Old house had them both in the back of the "junk" cupboard.
New house has the gas meter buried under a pull out unit. Not fun.

That makes Big Brother all worth it.
That ship has sailed. Especially if you use the internet or carry a phone around

Sponsored Links
Back