Smart Meter ...

Energy, why, did you think it may be the milk bill ?
I've looked at dozens of links to smart meters and none are definitive regards costs. All that say is there is no up front payment and that the costs will be added to everyone's' bill and that those costs will be about £100 per household.

So which bill does the £100 get tagged to i.e. when? I've not had mine yet.

Sponsored Links
I've looked at dozens of links to smart meters and none are definitive regards costs. All that say is there is no up front payment and that the costs will be added to everyone's' bill and that those costs will be about £100 per household.

It's a national project, the cost of which is carried by everyone who pays an energy utility bill - that is whether or not you presently have a Smart Meter.

The cost is built in to the cost of energy per unit, can't remember the last bill I had, just pay by DD and any shortfall/excess is adjusted later. I checked a few sites, this is one
https://sse.co.uk/help/energy/gas-electricity-bill-payment/bill-price-breakdown
and another

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/data-portal/breakdown-electricity-bill
another
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/files/docs/2020/03/bills_prices_profits_-_march_2020.pdf
There are loads, some seem conflicting with percentages.

It's a national project, the cost of which is carried by everyone who pays an energy utility bill - that is whether or not you presently have a Smart Meter.
So, everyone pays regardless of whether you take them up on it?

The stupid ones are the ones NOT having a smart meter then! Lols.

Sponsored Links
The cost is built in to the cost of energy per unit, can't remember the last bill I had, just pay by DD and any shortfall/excess is adjusted later. I checked a few sites, this is one
https://sse.co.uk/help/energy/gas-electricity-bill-payment/bill-price-breakdown
and another

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/data-portal/breakdown-electricity-bill
another
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/files/docs/2020/03/bills_prices_profits_-_march_2020.pdf
There are loads, some seem conflicting with percentages.
That £100 smart meter cost just gets divvied up and spread over many bills? Gosh, that must amount to a whopping tenner a year then.

Lol.

If you have a pre payment meter, you will more than likely pay more per unit for energy, therefore pay more for the "environmental charges", and as poorer people are more likely to be on a PP meter, they are being penalised more. Not sure now, but the green tax was only levied on customers of suppliers with more than X amount of customers, so smaller suppliers would be cheaper. As more customers switch to the smaller suppliers, they then have to levy the tax, and they then become uncompetitive, customers switch again, and suppliers go bust.

So, everyone pays regardless of whether you take them up on it?

The stupid ones are the ones NOT having a smart meter then! Lols.

Yep! The ones refusing them seem to be those who believe in ridiculous conspiracy theories - concerns that they might be remotely cut-off, be hacked into so burglars will know by your consumption that there is no one home, that there are other motives.

If you have a pre payment meter, you will more than likely pay more per unit for energy, therefore pay more for the "environmental charges", and as poorer people are more likely to be on a PP meter, they are being penalised more. Not sure now, but the green tax was only levied on customers of suppliers with more than X amount of customers, so smaller suppliers would be cheaper. As more customers switch to the smaller suppliers, they then have to levy the tax, and they then become uncompetitive, customers switch again, and suppliers go bust.

I'm not familiar with PP, but I understood they charged a little more, because of the extra cost it involved the supplier in, in offering the PP system - plus of course the fact that only the larger, more expensive supplier anyway were the only ones able to offer PP.

As we established some time ago, energy costs vary quite dramatically too, depending upon where in the UK you live.

depending upon where in the UK you live.
Do you mean England or Scotland or NI or Wales ? Don't think where you live in England/Scotland/Wales makes a difference for gas or electricity, fuel oil maybe, and may be different in NI.Bad debtors may have a pre payment fitted with increased prices charged to claw back what is owed.

Bad debtors may have a pre payment fitted with increased prices charged to claw back what is owed.
Do you believe crooked people should refuse smart meters so that they can better screw the energy companies with impunity?

I sort of get where the whole anti-smart meter thing is going now.(y)

Do you believe crooked people should refuse smart meters so that they can better screw the energy companies with impunity?
Pre payment meters don't have to be smart meters. Smart meters can be turned off remotely for bad debt(or for any reason the supplier sees fit), just as a normal meter can be turned off and isolated manually for bad debt. It (disconnection)doesn't happen that often.

Do you mean England or Scotland or NI or Wales ? Don't think where you live in England/Scotland/Wales makes a difference for gas or electricity, fuel oil maybe, and may be different in NI.Bad debtors may have a pre payment fitted with increased prices charged to claw back what is owed.

No, costs vary by much more localised region, that's why when you request an energy quote, you need to provide your consumption data AND postcode. Both John W2 and myself live in England, but I pay much less than he does for my energy.

Sponsored Links
Back