Smart Plug 10Amp, kettle has a 13Amp fuse is this ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some cheaper chinese Smart Plugs, rather than my Hive ones.
I noticed they are only 10 Amp, not 13 Amp.

Would these be ok/safe for use with things like a Kettle.

Most of the appliances i would want to use them with have 13 amp plugs, and I am assuming not, however just checking here first.

Sponsored Links
If your kettle uses less than 10A (2,000 Watts or less to be on the safe side), then yes; if more than that then not.

If your kettle uses less than 10A (2,000 Watts or less to be on the safe side), then yes; if more than that then not.
The kettle is 3000W
So at 240 Volts, I'm at 12.5

Thanks for your answer, I needed a reminder on the calc

Yes, that's correct. W/V

However, if the voltage is higher than 240V the wattage and current will rise.

You can get the remote plugs with higher ratings - 16A would be best.

Sponsored Links
I bought some cheaper chinese Smart Plugs, rather than my Hive ones. I noticed they are only 10 Amp, not 13 Amp. Would these be ok/safe for use with things like a Kettle.
As you have been told, since your kettle is 3000W, then a 10A plug is not suitable/acceptable. Few domestic electrical items are above 2000W (even kettles are often only 2000W). so most would be OK with a 10A plug.

However, I'm a little surprised that no-one has yet commented that a "cheaper chinese Smart Plug" is not necessarily "ok/safe" even for small loads - there are some pretty dodgy things which come out of China.

Kind Regards, John

Hi john, found out the Kettle was 3000W from the product site https://www.morphyrichards.co.uk/pr...4-Ivory-Cream-Accents-Traditional-Kettle.html
Also not sure how correct this site was, but a nice started https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/around-the-home/home-appliances-ratings/

Cheap, as it is Black Friday
Chinese, as most things are now made in China
But yes it is one of those that you see rebranded by a dozen other companies.

I am now looking for better, but reasonably priced, Alexa and Google enable plugs (any recommendations welcomed)

Chinese, as most things are now made in China
Indeed, but there is a big difference between products branded by companies in reputable 'western' countries which are manufactured for them in China and products that are sold more-or-less 'directly' from China (with or without any 'branding' at all). Whilst one cannot generalise, a significant proportion of the latter are unsatisfactory (sometimes 'dangerous') and may bear fake markings which try to indicate compliance with various regulations and/or Standards. Most of us have at least some of these 'direct from China' products, and most function satisfactorily, but .....!

Kind Regards, John

there is a big difference between products branded by companies in reputable 'western' countries which are manufactured for them in China and products that are sold more-or-less 'directly' from China (with or without any 'branding' at all).
whssign.gif

It would be nice to be able to see these embedded images without having to hit the "quote" button. It seems to be happening predominantly with posts from yourself, so I wonder if you are dealing with images in a different way from many/most other people?

Kind Regards, John

Are you still having that problem? I have not since the last time it was raised.
Yep. This is what I saw ...
upload_2017-11-21_16-18-22.png

... but when I click on "Quote", I see in the reply window...
upload_2017-11-21_16-21-21.png

... but then if I post that reply, I again only see the placeholder in what gets posted.

Kind Regards, John

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-21_16-17-27.png
    upload_2017-11-21_16-17-27.png
    210.6 KB · Views: 379
I have an Energenie Smart socket adaptor rated 13A however when used with a Breville hot cup kettle rated 3kW will from time to time trip out. When it trips it does report an overload so as to if kettle over 13A or the Smart plug is over sensitive I don't know. However it does seem does not need to be grey imports from China, items from ElectroFix have the same problem.

In the main I don't use the Smart socket for items like kettles, I know what a kettle uses by reading the label. More interesting with items like a dish washer where one can't really work out what each cycle uses. I find using a remote control one has to be careful, don't want to remotely switch something which could cause damage when switched on.

So many items you can't auto switch on, the hob, the battery charger, and many more need some one to press a button, so what is the point? And items like fridge or freezer I don't want any chance of them switching off.

As far as I am concerned the Smart Socket is a toy, yes I enjoy working out what things use, but I would not rely on it to turn things on or off. At £26.59 not cheap but still a toy.

It would be nice to be able to see these embedded images without having to hit the "quote" button. It seems to be happening predominantly with posts from yourself, so I wonder if you are dealing with images in a different way from many/most other people?
IHNI - I just paste this in (modified to stop it being interpreted as an image):

[¡mg]hʈʈp://ωωω.novahq.net/forum/images/smilies/whssign.gif[/¡mg]

IHNI - I just paste this in (modified to stop it being interpreted as an image): [¡mg]hʈʈp://ωωω.novahq.net/forum/images/smilies/whssign.gif[/¡mg]
Interesting. I wonder if the problem is that it's a GIF file - would it be possible for you to try something comparable using, say, a JPG?

Mind you, it's not that my machine or browser can't display GIFs - if I type that URL into my browser, it shows me the image.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back