Smart Switch Issue - Outside 12v Lights

Does that device have a series resistor built in ? A fusible resistor in the device provides protection if the capacitor goes short cicuit.

Contact suppressors have a resistor built in and are ideal for this application.

KEMET RC Capacitor 470nF 100Ω Tolerance ±20% RS Components Stock Number 172-6734

Other sources are availane

Many thanks Bernard. One ordered today. Quick question, can I cut the length of the metal connectors to suit? Thanks, Chris

Sponsored Links
Does that device have a series resistor built in ? A fusible resistor in the device provides protection if the capacitor goes short cicuit.

Contact suppressors have a resistor built in and are ideal for this application.

KEMET RC Capacitor 470nF 100Ω Tolerance ±20% RS Components Stock Number 172-6734

Many thanks Bernard. One ordered today. Quick question, can I cut the length of the metal connectors to suit? Thanks, Chris

Contact suppressors have a resistor built in and are ideal for this applicationb.

Sponsored Links
Leave a small gap between the case of the capacitor and the plastic of the terminal block ( ~1 mm). The avoids putting a strain on the leads when the screws in the terminal block are tightened. Also double the leads back on themselves so there are two bits of lead under the terminal block screw

Leave a small gap between the case of the capacitor and the plastic of the terminal block ( ~1 mm). The avoids putting a strain on the leads when the screws in the terminal block are tightened. Also double the leads back on themselves so there are two bits of lead under the terminal block screw

i can order sleeve for them. Which size sleeve… 2/3/4mm? Cheers Chris

I use insulation recovered from stripping cables. If the capacitor is that close to the terminal block ( no exposed copper ) then no need to sleeve the leads

Part arrived today but unfortunately hasn’t resolved the problem. The smart switch also fails to automatically calibrate with the capacitor on the circuit. Looks like I will need to find a different smart switch or revert to traditional method.

Attachments

• DEB8AC20-7A44-4F2B-BFF8-B8B6EF9EEA0B.jpeg
    DEB8AC20-7A44-4F2B-BFF8-B8B6EF9EEA0B.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 44
The capacitor needs to be across Neutral and Switched Live that connect to the lamp.

From your picture I am not sure that is how you have connected it

This is the only part of the circuit I can access as the connecting box to the transformers is under the decking as per original post.

The live is the original lighter brown and switched lives are darker one to transformer 1, the other to transformer 2?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back