Smartphones and texting a four or five figure number

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've an Android Samsung Galaxy A40 smartphone. Often you are asked to send a message to a four or five digit number. Recently I had one from BT and another to report a scam text. My search on the Internet has been frustrating referring me to menu items I do not have on my smartphone. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I think you may be overthinking this! ;)
When you use messages and select new conversation, all you do is put the short number in the recipient box, that's it! :)

Thanks RandomGrinch. I'm a complete newbie to smartphones. Please bear with me. You say, "When you use messages and select new conversation .......". If I receive an obvious scam like "You've got a parcel from ..... please follow this link". What do I do next on my Samsung A40?

Sponsored Links
Thanks RandomGrinch. I'm a complete newbie to smartphones. Please bear with me. You say, "When you use messages and select new conversation .......". If I receive an obvious scam like "You've got a parcel from ..... please follow this link". What do I do next on my Samsung A40?

When in messages, don't click the spam message, instead hold your finger down on the message ('long press' it). After a second or two, a tick will appear on the message; let go and some options, including 'delete' will appear at the bottom of the screen :)

As well as delete the message, you should be able to block further.messages coming to you from that number.
Clicking on the burger or three dot menu should give the option to block that number.

You click and hold the message and an option menu comes up, and you select forward message.

Forward it to 7726 (SPAM on a phone keypad). Then you get a reply asking for the number it came from, so reply with the number copy and pasted or write it out

Then go back to the message thread and block and delete from the three dot menu, top right

Got an A40 for Mrs Secure just before Amazon stopped selling them new

Nice phone for the money.

Sponsored Links
Back