Smeg DF612SDX Dishwasher blows main fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a Smeg DF612SDX dishwasher which keeps blowing the fuse in the mains plug. It used to run for a while before the fuse blew but and if we replaced the fuse it'd run for long enough to complete a cycle but now it blows quicker. Any idea why this might be happening? Is this a common fault with these machines and what might be done to rectify the problem.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
A "main fuse" is a particular thing.

I don't believe that yours is blowing.

What are all the words, letters and numbers on the thing you mean? A photo would also be helpful.

Do you have a rinse only programme you can try? Still blowing fuse?

It's the fuse in the mains plug which blows. When replaced the machine works again for a short time until the same fuse blows again.

I'll check to see no one has replaced it with one of too low a rating.

A "main fuse" is a particular thing.

I don't believe that yours is blowing.

What are all the words, letters and numbers on the thing you mean? A photo would also be helpful.

Sponsored Links
What ampage fuse is it?

How did you come across the dishwasher?

Do you have a rinse only programme you can try? Still blowing fuse?

There's a Soak program which is a cold pre wash. Not quite a rise program but will avoid any water heating so might give an idea where the fault lies. Will track down another 13amp fuse and try running it on soak for a while.

Cheers

So it has been in use and working perfectly fine.
How did rinse only go? Yes will eliminate heater.
Will only run for about 10 mins though some machines run much longer.

Yes, it was working fine and started blowing the fuse. We could change the fuse and it'd for a while but the fuse began to blow sooner and sooner each time to the point where the machine became unusable. Will try the pre wash thing later and report back.

Ok, we replaced the fuse in the plug and switched the washer back on. It continued running the program it was running the last time it we tried using it and the fuse blew after about a minute and a half. There was also a 'thud' from inside the machine as it cut out. Not sure if this is a consequence of it being shut off suddenly as the fuse blows or the sound of the cause of the fuse blowing. There was no noticeable sign of any smoke, smells etc.

We have replaced the fuse again, cancelled the previous program and are just going to leave the machine switched on but not running to see if the fuse will hold out. If the fuse doesn't blow we'll try running a rinse program later on.

Won't blow unless running. Theres obviously something drawing too much current causing fuse to blow.

Time to get the top and sides off.

Dishwasher has completed a pre wash/rinse cycle successfully without blowing any fuses. Is it likely to be something to do with the water heater element? What should I look for now?

Disconnect power. Remove lid and side panels, test heater with DMM.
It may not be the heater but needs to be tested 1st.

Ok, I've removed the lid, side and rear panels (photos attached), but not being all that experienced in such matters am not sure where the heater element will be. I have a multi meter so presumably I can just connect it to either end of the heater and measure the resistance/current...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back