Smeg DF612SDX Dishwasher blows main fuse

Ha ha, ok, I was looking for Smeg ones. I just bid £10 for the Zanussi one. Not sure if it's the same port sizes but the rest of it looks the same, connections, copper bars etc to will hopefully fit. Will check the numbers on the side for wattage etc before fitting.

Many thanks again for being so helpful :)

Sponsored Links
Check that the sizes are the same with the seller.
If not ask to cancel the purchase.

Yes, I asked the same earlier this morning. He'll be wondering what's with all the questions :) I'll get another look at the washer later today and get the sizes off the heater. Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Something that should have been explored is whether your main fuse board is tripping.
Rcd's, Rcbo's? Or traditional re-wireable fuse cartridges.
Curious that they are not tripping first.

No, no RCDs here. Just old fashioned fuses. It was definitely the fuse in the mains plug that was blowing.

if, as is very common, the heating element had broken down with age, the RCD would probably have tripped very quickly, preventing danger and damage.

Yes that was established but no mention of it tripping main board, just curiousity why main board not tripping but understand now as they are cartridge fuses.

The wattage on the playe on the side of the door says 1900kw but the Zanussi heater is 2kw. Will this be too much?

It will be fine, will just simply heat the water slightly quicker, probably won't be noticeable in regard to cycle lengths of time.

Pretty evident thats the culprit, be sure to use new clips when fitting new heater and check for leaks before re-fitting side panel and re-locating back to its 'home'.

Heater fitted, connectors replaced, new clips fitted and have run a full wash program with no leaks or cutting out. All seems to be well again.

Many thanks Yardie. Your help and advice have been much appreciated :)

Fantastic news, glad to be of service!

Did you clean or replace the plug that fits onto the new heater? You don't want dirty contacts causing issues at a later date.

Other than that sounds like you've done a grand job!

It would also be adviseable to clean the filters inside the tub and check your spray arms are clean and clear or food particles etc. Run on the hottest wash programme with a dishwasher cleaner and hopefully it will give you good service for a few more years.

Did you clean or replace the plug that fits onto the new heater?

Er, I just crimped new connectors onto the ends of the wires and pushed them onto the connections on the heater, without using a plug. I made sure the connectors are nowhere near touching. Safer with a proper plug I know but seems to be ok for now.

Will see about running some dishwasher cleaner through the machine soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back