Smell from shower drain when upstairs flushes

ODB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps

I now live in an old 1950s 1st floor flat built like a battleship with 2ft think walls in Tallinn, Estonia. We've had bathroom done and have a shower drain that smells, it coincides with when we can hear water suddenly rushing down through the big pipe in the wall (about 6ft away) which I assume is soil stack for the building and the 3 floors above us!

We had the bathroom redone a couple years ago and it never really used to be a problem, wife has been complaining about it more over last couple weeks.

Any clues to what I need to look for? I've attached a crap photo of the shower drain

Attachments

• photo5798682887778842774.jpg
    photo5798682887778842774.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
Without being there it's difficult to say for sure, and also depends on the drainage setup where you are. (Different Countries have different methods.) Based on UK systems, I'd suggest the stack or drain is blocked downstream, and when a discharge is made from above, it is displacing the equivalent volume of air out the pipe, which, due to the blockage, is looking for the next easiest way out. That could be via your shower.

If you ask the neighbors to flush and you watch the trap this could be useful.
Either a puff of foul air as from back pressure as above if theres a partial block. Or the stack may not be properly vented so the flushing may suck the water out of the trap.
May take several flushes,allow a few minutes between each flush for the cistern to refill.
Im guessing the old shower trap had a deeper seal so withstood the pressure changes better.
Suggest Google
"Trap seal loss "

• Thanks
Reactions: ODB
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back