Smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw some Kidde smoke alarms today in a DIY store where the batteries last for 10 years. Didnt state what type they was though. has anyone used these as opposed to going down the route of hard wired ones as these prove to be alot more expensive.

Sponsored Links
I use them in my house, test them every few months, so far so good (2 years) test perfectly every time !! No doubt a damn sight less hassle than wired ones too !!

Great, do you know if they are ionisattion or optical? Do they do heat ones also? Im not sure how much they were, as it was a wholesalers, they were in a twin pack.

Ahhh, I'm guessing you are looking at the Costco ones..... I'll go have a look at my ones now for you !!

Sponsored Links
They are Ionization ones, if it is the Costco ones you are looking at, they also let you know when the 10year battery is running out by chirping every 45seconds !!

Seem a little sensitive at times but that can only be a good thing given my flat mates cooking !! :p

Yep you got it in one! Thanks for that. How much are they roughly if you can remember?

IIRC they were something like £15 I think. Although that was ages ago, I know the Carbon Monoxide dectector they do is something like £11 at the moment.

I can have a look next time I go if that is any help ?

I see. Cheers mate id appreciate that, I will take a look if I pass again tho and let u know if Ive found out!

I'd imagine that only applies to new build here in the UK.

Interesting. So when you say 'must', you mean that if, in my old house, I buy two battery smoke alarms and screw them to the ceiling, I am breaking some law?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back