Smoke alarm wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are 2 BRK wired smoke alarms in our house which came with the house as a new build. Though 26 yrs old they still work. (toaster on with kitchen door open!) I was thinking of changing them to something more modern. On you tube there are videos on how to do this. There is one with a kidde alarm that came with some wiring adapters, but most of the videos are american in origin. I asked Kidde about this one with adapters but they didn't know what I was on about. There are adapters on Ebay but all seem to be from America with high postage costs. Would these fit here knowing their voltage in homes is different to ours. Are there any adapters available in this country that would make the job of swapping any easier?

Sponsored Links
BRK are long gone, only available in North America now.

You don't need any adaptors - new ones connect directly to the wiring, which is normally L,N,E and an interconnect.

Sponsored Links
If those alarms are interlinked, you will have 3 cores and earth at each. You can put any smokes up. I recommend fireangel, they look sleek and modern.

By the way, definitely replace them. Smokes arent guarranteed to last longer than ten years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back