Smoke alarms

Sponsored Links
Maybe just new builds I think but I can see benefits of interlinkin tho

Sponsored Links
I didnt read that bit! Think Ill stick with teh hardwired option then! Glad I checked iwth you guys! Thanks for posting the info.

chillout, you might not like the words I've posted, but they aint mine.

They are all from BS5839-6-2004, so you can comply with it or ignore it, but remember 80% of deaths and injuries from fires are domestic incidents.

BS5839-6-2004 clearly states "applies to new and EXISTING dwellings" - end of.

Not in an existing standard 2 storey home!

Not in an existing standard 2 storey home!

NOTE 1 It is preferable that, in all dwellings (including dwellings other than those described above), all smoke alarms and
heat alarms (if provided) are also interlinked; this advice should be incorporated in instructions to householders (see Clause 24).

IE it includes 2 storey houses, as I said before I'm just quoting the BS.

Not my words, but as soon as any british standard states "preferable" you have to question the intelligence of the w****** that wrote the standard.

So it's preferable but not mandatory?

The only time I am aware of the BCO insisting on interlinked mains smoke alarms in normal domestic premisis is in all new build properties, and where an existing 2 storey property is converted to a three or more storey property.

You can not force someone to install interlinked alarms, but I would recommened it and explain the benifits every single time.

Most people understand the benefit and are happy to have them installed, but if someone doesn't want them, you can't force them to have them.

Hey, I agree but was just stating that it's preferable and not mandatory so you'll still be getting battery smoke detectors FOC from the Fire Brigade for some time yet!

Battery only alarms are better than nothing.
However they have serious flaws, primarily that the batteries run down (alleged 10 year life or not) and the batteries get taken out for various reasons.

Mains operated with rechargeable sealed batteries are the only sensible choice. None of that wireless junk either - hardwired only.

Hey, I agree but was just stating that it's preferable and not mandatory so you'll still be getting battery smoke detectors FOC from the Fire Brigade for some time yet!

Probably better than nothing if installed by an amateur, but watch out if you are a qualified spark who should know better.

I can assure you that I wouldn't be installing battery smoke detectors in place of a more permanent and reliable solution!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back