Smoke coming out of 2 chimneys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently puchased an old house. I have an old open fireplace. I went outside and noticed I have smoke coming out of both chimneys on the external wall. Now the chimney i expect it to come out of has majority of the smoke 90%. The other chiney belongs to my bedroom which is above the sitting room. It has the fireplace bricked and plastered over.

Now question is, is it safe if i leave it? I have a feeling that the answer is no and i will have to get it lined. Now if i have carbon monxide alarms etc.. and no smoke is coming into my house, what could happen if i left it?

thanks,
Rich

Sponsored Links
Smoke is getting from one flue into another; this might be as simple as a brick that's fallen out.

Apart from CO poisoning, the unused chimney won't be swept but could still accumulate old soot, birds' nests etc and so become a fire hazard.

Getting a chimney sweep in to look at it sooner rather than later would be wise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back