smoke detectors and TV boosters

L

llewop

Going to fit 2 smoke detectors in house. Was going to take the supply from the nearest light and interconnect with a 3 core. The lights are supplied from a new split RCD consumer unit, what I was wondering is if smoke detectors cause nuisance tripping. The consumer unit has no unprotected ways all are RCD.

Another thing is I want to fit a booster for my TV aerial in the loft. Can I take a supply from the nearest light and fit a sput or socket to plug in my booster, or does the supply have to come from a socket circuit.

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking the smoke detectors should not come from an RCD protected group of circuits that could trip due to a fault on one of the other circuits.
In this case, to comply with 17th edition, you'd need to fit an RCBO for that one circuit. This assumes the cables for the circuit is less than 50mm from the surface.

I'm assuming that by
all are RCD
you mean that you have two RCDs with some circuits on each??

I never did hear of a smoke alarm causing niusance tripping BTW.

You can power your TV booster from the lighting circuit but its bad practise to put a 13A socket there to plug the booster in! Better to use a 5A round pin plug - this'll prevent some clown in the future plugging in and electric fire to warm the pipes.....

Sorry I forgot to mention that the smoke detectors have a battery back up. Does that still mean I have to fit an RCBO or can I just take from the lights.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back