Smoking Dishwasher Door Lock - replacement spade terminals

SFK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,
After helping someone else on this forum with a MicroSwitch on their oven, it seems it is now my turn to need help.

My Dishwasher started smoking from the door lock. I isolated it and took it apart and found that the dual-Block-Spade Connector (?Molex?) had burnt.

My assumption is that a high resistance corrosion had formed on one of the terminals (the lower one) of the Microswitch, increased the Resistance and caused localised heating, causing the Spade Connector to get hot enough to smoke.

My plan is to replace the doorlock mechanism (which comes with an integral micro-switch), cutoff the dual-Block-Spade Connector, and put on two Spade connectors (crimp and solder).

Question:
I never really like spade connectors - anyone have a better suggestion or recommendation for a connector to the microswitch?

dish_DSC02935.jpg

dish_DSC02936.jpg

dish_DSC02939.jpg

SFK

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How about soldered direct onto switch pins and sleeved.

Maintenance is harder but its a better connection.

• Thanks
Reactions: SFK
I'd be more inclined to think the switch went high resistance causing the heating than the spade connector failing.

Replacement crimps should be fine, but you could solder and heatshrink.

• Thanks
Reactions: SFK
Aptsys,
Yes I have been wondering about that too (switch went high resistance causing the heating than the spade connector failing).

I do have a bad habit of opening door whilst dishwasher on to add plates.
And I could imagine that that has caused arcing and pitting of the microswitch.

Old Connector now cutoff. New Door lock now ordered and on way to me.
So got a day or two to consider.

Thx to both you and Mattylad for suggestions, SFK

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The only point I would make is that spade connectors have been used in the automobile industry for over 50 years, carrying current far in excess of that of your door-switch. Why do you not like spade connectors? They provide a quick, easy and firm connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back