Lincat ESLR9 electric cooker went bang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

To give a bit of background, it is a Lincat ESLR9 electric cooker. It is very simple design with two fans and two elements for the oven. See attachments 1 and 2 for the manual and parts list. The parts list says it could have 2kw or 3 kw heating elements, my oven has two 3kw elements fitted.

Two weeks ago the cooker made a bang and tripped the consumer unit, upon inspection I could see that the contactor appeared burnt-out and a wire on a heating element was loose and burnt also, with signs of arcing on the connector. The contactor fitted was a IMO MB09-F-00, see attachments 3,4 and 5.

I replaced the contactor with this unit from Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14273079...5338980112&toolid=10001&customid=kWjPkVABeRQJ

and replaced the heating element and replaced the female spade end connector, see attachments 6 and 7.

Unfortunately the replacement contactor has burnt-out also, even though it is the part number stated in the manual and the oven is listed in the advert, perhaps it isn't the correct part?

My theory is the poor connection method of the replacement contactor? The original (IMO unit) had sturdy spade end connectors for good contact, the replacement, feeble little spring type terminals where the wire is shoved in and held loosely by a weak clamp (felt loose and could pull the wire out easily).

I'm thinking this might be causing high resistance/heat and hence overcurrent, but I'm not an electrical engineer and I might be overlooking something else.

Thank you for read my post!

Regards

James

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 54
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Manual.pdf
    259.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Parts.JPG
    Parts.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 42
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
the replacement, feeble little spring type terminals where the wire is shoved in and held loosely by a weak clamp (felt loose and could pull the wire out easily).
Either the wires have been installed incorrectly or into the wrong hole, or the wires are not suitable for that type of connector.
It should be pretty much impossible to pull wires out of those without destroying the connector or the wires.

That also assumes the part is actually genuine, and not some knockoff fake piece.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back