Smoothing out artex ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a diy’er how should I approach this task please?

The artex was done around 20 years ago and has a circular and spiky pattern.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
How do I locate the joists for screwing and what do I do about the spikes?

Sponsored Links
I’ve never skimmed. I have used easi-fill but a whole ceiling will be challenging.

also, would scrapping off the high points be interfering with asbestos and hence disallowed?

I think I prefer the over boarding approach followed by tape and jointing.

Get the Artex Tested for the presence of Asbestos [ACM] Asbestos Containing Material.

Only when the test comes back clear should you [safely] continue.

As above a scraper will knock off the high points but it is a very messy process, cover the floor with polythene, if there is a carpet be carefull polythene and carpets are very slippy !!!

overboard as above.

Locating the joists may? become easier with some of the tips knocked off the ceiling, my preferred method is to use a VERY bright torch or other light source held close to the surface of the ceiling and sweep the light around, the undulations of the old plasterboard joints will show up vividly.

Ken

So we can knock off the high points of artex or steam it off all together without worrying about asbestos?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Guys,

can someone please guide me on the above point? I am trying to determine if it is possible to do this whilst working within the asbestos guidelines.

thanks

Although steaming all of it off will be a massive waste of time, because the ceiling underneath will still require boarding over or skimming.

If it’s only 20 years old there is very little chance of asbestos being present. The stippling finish can be flattened quite easily using a jumbo scraper. But if your confident enough and it doesn’t compromise covings, light fittings etc board ,tape and skim. Hope this helps.

Are you Keitai?
Huh?

If it’s only 20 years old there is very little chance of asbestos being present. The stippling finish can be flattened quite easily using a jumbo scraper. But if your confident enough and it doesn’t compromise covings, light fittings etc board ,tape and skim. Hope this helps.

on overboarding, I’ve not yet established how I locate the joists. Can you advise on this please as this would be my preferred route.

Ok, the easy way is to lift the floor boards of the room upstairs put a nail through the ceiling next to the joist and at the same time measure the width of the joists and the way they are running. If it’s upstairs do the same in the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back