Smoothing the jagged edge of glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a tool which will level off a jagged edge on a sheet of 2mm glass? I'm guessing there's not a "glass-strength" sandpaper but it would be good if there was. Or a suitable grinder? It's just for occasional use. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've done it in the past and used two different "tools" . Firstly a carborundum stone and secondly a block of wood with emery cloth ( rather than paper based) glued to it. I used both with a bit of water to prevent ground glass particles floating about.
Alternatively your local glass merchant may very well be willing to polish the edge for you.

I used to do this on a grinding wheel with a groove in it, lots of water being poured on - but that was some 30+ years ago so do not know what the wheel was made of.

Sponsored Links
Flat diamond knife/chisel sharpener plate.

One of those V grooved knife sharpening wheels

Wet and dry paper on a wooden block is the simplest though

I used to do this on a grinding wheel with a groove in it, lots of water being poured on - but that was some 30+ years ago so do not know what the wheel was made of.
Never quite had the courage to try anything powered and faster than hand grinding .

Thank you all. I had a look for the earlier suggestions while I was in Homebase this evening but they didn't have anything so the Amazon link is brilliant - many thanks and I appreciate all the responses, and thanks for the reminder to be careful, DaveHern :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back