Snoopers charter - Pensioners will have their bank accounts inspected and monitored

Status
Not open for further replies.
because you were going all :rolleyes: about the government doing this and that to expand it. making up ideas not in the proposed law.
You mean your link did not explain correctly:

Why don't you explain why it's necessary to read the bill rather than the link you presented?
I didn't want your opinion of what I was assuming. :rolleyes:

Gawd! You do like to give your opinion about what you think others have thought. :rolleyes:

I wanted you to explain how the link that you presented does not accurately reflect what is in the Bill.
If it does accurately reflect what is in the Bill, I don't need to read the Bill, the article that you presented should be sufficient. :rolleyes:
And I based my recent comments on that article. I even linked to it on several oassions, and for specific information. :rolleyes:

If the article is not truly reflective of what's in the Bill, what was the point in presenting that article?
And if it isn't, please explain how the article misrepresents what is in the Bill.

Then you can correctly and properly address my comments, including those past the first line of my post, instead of vague references to what you think I assumed. :rolleyes:

Address my points, not my character.
The bit about "only means-tested benefits will be monitored at first" is the worrying bit.

Their and your figures refer to that initial use of the powers.
Agreed that might be about 14% initially, rising to 41% whenever the government feel ready to extrapolate the extent of the system.

Yet again we see that it's the bill that is flawed, not the intention. The government bring in wide ranging powers to deal with a particular problem, which are put to wider use to which they were never intended.

No doubt the government will add some kind of retrospective clause. :rolleyes:

And how much will it cost to imprison 2,500 people? Assume average of a 5 year sentence
At £47,000¹ per prisoner per year, (total 2500 * 47000 *5 years= £600,000,000) where are the savings going: :rolleyes:
Savings projected = £500,000,000 per year Let's assume only half of that is achieved.
Savings £250,000,000
Cost of prisoners £600,000,000 over 5 years
Cost of investigation £30,000,000 per year.
Net benefit about - £400,000,000 and a heck of a lot more criminals
Not to mention the cost of building more prisons. :rolleyes:

It's bonkers in principle and it's bonkers economically.
Was this one of Liz Trusses ideas? :rolleyes:

¹Imprisoning elderly, disabled, people with children, single parents, etc will cost society an awful lot more than the average cost of a prisoner.
Not to mention the kids brought up without a parent, the working parent having to give up work etc.

Economically this has got to be another barmy Tory dog whistle idea that should never get off the ground.

Sponsored Links
Going back to the op, it's all part of a slippery slope brought on by the government's enthusiasm for cash usage to be greatly reduced and eventually phased out. Can see the way it's going, and as time goes on, the government's tentacles will reach into every aspect of our lives that used to be off limits. Once they have the power, it will be wielded more and more. EVERYONE will be affected.
What is worse is that it doesn't add up economically. It costs more to operate than any proposed savings that it could possibly generate.
As well as adding about 2,500 criminals to the prison population, who each will have about a 5 year sentence to their name.

It could be yet another massive miscarriage of justice on the Horizon, which might dwarf the recent PO scandal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back