So many wires....Help for final light fitting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year all - hope next year works out better than the last!

Does anybody know what to do here?.

I’ve changed some of the light fittings in our house no problem but the last one I need to do has more wires than I know what to do with.

I've attached some images of the ceiling rose before I took it down, the wires (one of the neutral wires has a brown sleeve put over the top of it?) and the light fitting (that doesn't have an earth?)

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-31 at 17.06.55.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-31 at 17.06.55 (3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-31 at 17.06.55 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-31 at 17.06.55 (2).jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There doesn't look to be enough space in the base plate of your new fitting to accommodate all the terminal blocks required to make all the connections. How deep is the circular base plate ? You may need a maintainence free junction box to make all the connections in ,that will push up into the ceiling void.
The blue with brown sleeving is the switched live ,not a neutral. Don't mix them up !!!

Last edited:
Definitely require a maintenance-free junction box to sit inside the ceiling void with just 2 wires coming down to your new fitting.
A qualified spark will hopefully come along and tell you exactly what type of fitting you will need.

Definitely require a maintenance-free junction box to sit inside the ceiling void with just 2 wires coming down to your new fitting.
A qualified spark will hopefully come along and tell you exactly what type of fitting you will need.

Never simple is it! :LOL: But thanks for the response. Assume something like this is required https://www.screwfix.com/p/wagobox-light-junction-box/8423f

Wonder if there is anyway if I can reuse the ceiling rose.

Sponsored Links
Happy New Year all - hope next year works out better than the last!

Does anybody know what to do here?.

I’ve changed some of the light fittings in our house no problem but the last one I need to do has more wires than I know what to do with.

I've attached some images of the ceiling rose before I took it down, the wires (one of the neutral wires has a brown sleeve put over the top of it?) and the light fitting (that doesn't have an earth?)

View attachment 216589 View attachment 216588 View attachment 216586 View attachment 216587
You're going to struggle with space.

Fottunately you still have the sleeve on the switched live, that is the brown connexion of the new fitting
The other 3 blues are neutral and go to the blue of your new fitting.
The 4 brown wires are joined together in another connector.
The 4 earths all go together and I assume to an earth terminal somewhere on the metal of the new fitting.

It will be an aweful lot easier if you purchase a replacement junction box [mainenance free], for that little thing that's on there,which can slip throught the hole into the ceiling.

I should have checked activity during my dinner time:(

Think it would be ok if the description is anything to go by?

“The Quickwire QSL34 Junction Box allows for two power connections, one switch connection and one load connection.”

Think it would be ok if the description is anything to go by?

“The Quickwire QSL34 Junction Box allows for two power connections, one switch connection and one load connection.”
I've only used one and it had no provision for the 4th live or 3rd neutral. I don't know what model was.

I worked on a site where these were used and rejected by the main contractor but I don't know the details, so I've avoided them since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back