Soakaway from boiler overflow pipe / radiator pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. Just had a new boiler fitted and there is a new overflow pipe to the outside wall. At the moment it drips onto the bricks of the house wall (it juts out a bit). I would think they should extend it so it drips on to the ground - should there be a soakaway? At present, even when extended, it will drip onto monoblock paving.

2. Can anyone explain the difference between what I would call normal pipes to radiators and those thin ones (which is what we have fitted). They look a bit cheap to me - what is the reason for using them (other than the new rads have been fitted into an old system and that is what was used before).

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you may have had a condensing boiler installed by cowboys. Were they corgi registered? Did they complete the Benchmark record (blue booklet)? Did they notify Corgi of the installation and did you receive a letter from Corgi to confirm this?

Following on from Chrishutt's post, is this "overflow" pipe made of copper, plastic, or something else? What is it's outside diameter?

Sponsored Links
Now I'm worried....

The overflow pipe is 1cm across and copper.

It's a Vaillant Ecomax boiler, combi condensing.

What is the problem - the overflow or the pipes on the radiators or both?

YES, the firm IS Corgi registered. Haven't got any booklet yet; the job's not finished as we need another rad replacing; they are back tomorrow night to check the size and order up. What do I say to the guy? They are a big firm and seem very organized; I didn't have any worries when I booked them and the boiler is in and seems to be working great.

Help!

You need to look under the boiler and see where this copper "overflow" pipe is connected. A picture would help us a lot if you've got a digital camera.

The pipe is either the discharge pipe from the PRV, in which case it would be 15mm OD and should not be dripping (what is the system pressure on the pressure gauge?), or it's a condensate pipe, in which case it should be plastic and should not discharge in the way you describe.

Hi

Well, there's a red knob on one of the pipes - the copper pipe I'm referring to leads from this pipe to the outside. It doesn't drip a lot and it could be 15mm - I measured with my eyes, although it looks about 10mm, but could be slightly larger. There is a plastic pipe to the right of this pipe (inside), but can't say where this leads - the washing machine is in front of it, so would need to unplumb it.

Pressure is 1 and a half, which is what they said it should be. I think it went up a bit to about 2 for a while but then has stabilised at 1 and a half.

Is there a problem?

And what about the radiator pipes?

:confused:

If your existing radiators are merely being replaced, why are you concerned about your existing pipework, unless of course you had specified replacement pipework.

Would it not beneficial to actually talk to your installers about your concerns.

Mallory said:
Well, there's a red knob on one of the pipes - the copper pipe I'm referring to leads from this pipe to the outside.
In that case the pipe is from the PRV and is correctly arranged, but it shouldn't be dripping. Just tell the installers about it.

The smaller pipework to the radiators should be fine. It's quite normal to use 8mm or 10mm pipes to rads. I don't think you have much to worry about after all.

Hi

That is what I'm going to do!

Sad to say, I've not had very good work from ANY work/tradesman who have worked on my house in the past six months. All have taken shortcuts and have had to be called back in. I'm rather cautious as a result of so many bad experiences.

So just trying to get your opinions so I can have some idea if I'm being fobbed off or not when I check with them ...

Chrishutt has cleared up my queries now - thanks for your help - although best not to say "Cowboys" as this throws folk like me into a right merry panic!

:)

No problem - I think my blood pressure's returned to normal now....

Cheers!

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back