Sock Broken Pump

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I bought a new Hotpoint washing machine exactly one year and one day ago for my rental property.
The tenants messaged me this morning to say that a pump fault was getting displayed (and the machine hadn't empted), so I told them to open up the filter and clear any debris.
They have since told me that they found a sock in with the pump and that there was a large piece of broken plastic in there.
Personally, I believe the plastic got broken when the sock was yanked out.

So, my questions are:

1: What has caused the sock to get stuck there? I did read that overloading can cause this.
2: Any idea how long Currys standard warranty is and would this be covered.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Q2--They should honour the warranty, it should be covered.
Thanks, will call them this morning.
Only problem is that I bought it just over a year ago, therefore warranty may no longer be valid?

Is the plastic actually from the pump?
The filter should be before the pump to prevent things going into it, all sorts of things get into the filter.

Sponsored Links
You said 1 year & 1 day, I doubt you could have contacted them yesterday or Saturday. They will have the exact date of when the machine was purchased if it has been registered for the extended warranty (10 years on parts, if I remember correctly).

Just spoke to them and said that. As it was a year ago tomorrow that it was delivered they accepted that so in warranty for today only.
Hotpoint said that the problem sounds like accidental damage. If that's the case it's £55 call out plus £119 to fix. The machine only cost £229.
They did say if set up today as last day of warranty, can go for their flexible repair and replace scheme at £4.65 per month.
Anyone got any thoughts or experience with that scheme?

So they are saying someone accidentally put a sock in the pump. I don't think so. The machine should cope with any type of garment, not flush it out with the waste water. Hot point used to have an excellent service dept. but I suspect they are farming it out now & the call centre are trying to make you pay for something they should. Stand your ground. I'm not sure that that monthly scheme includes all parts & labour, but if it does & the machine is in a rental property it might be worth considering it for the future.

Last edited:
Thanks folks for all your comments. Went for the £4.65 a month scheme in the end. Covers parts, labour and if it's unrepairable, they replace the machine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back