Socket and light switch heights in commercial buildings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our electrician mentioned in passing rules about this for our new childcare building but is away on holiday leaving us to decide what we want during where.

I found this article but it mentions this aspect of part M in respect to dwelling space and non dwelling space only: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/socketheight.htm

Can anyone advise me what rules apply in our case, a new commercial building... Same section of regs or something else? I've often seen ceiling and floor sockets in modern offices for instance.

Also: what rules apply to installation of the fusebox? We wanted it high out of the way but I think he also said it had to be accessible and we have storage to plan around it.

(This is a 4 room single storey 80m2 building like a bungalow, in case it matters. Single phase. Just happens to be used commercially)

Sponsored Links
You're not bothering with letting disabled persons actually get to the shed in the first place, so why worry about them being able to use the building?

Check out the Equality Act 2010 for the rules, rather than the 17th ed IET, as that's what you'll probably be prosecuted under. Or would it be CDM 2015 or one of the other H&S regulations, or the main H&SAW Act for being more concerned with looks than use. Or just the plain old Occupiers Liability Act 57 for basic negligence? :cautious::rolleyes:

Check out the Equality Act 2010 for the rules, rather than the 17th ed IET, as that's what you'll probably be prosecuted under. Or would it be CDM 2015 or one of the other H&S regulations, or the main H&SAW Act for being more concerned with looks than use. Or just the plain old Occupiers Liability Act 57 for basic negligence? :cautious::rolleyes:
That should confuse them :ROFLMAO:

You're not bothering with letting disabled persons actually get to the shed in the first place, so why worry about them being able to use the building?
if you recall from an earlier thread you'd know we had the building control officer out who signed off on our accessibility plan and said a strict reading of the regulations were inappropriate for our setting - but can we stay on topic?

Do you or anyone know the answer to my question more specifically than which document dictates it?
Any competent commercial electricians able to explain how offices often have ceiling height sockets for projectors and floor power strips which both fall outside the 450-1200mm rules mentioned above?

Sponsored Links
Why not just locate socket outlets 450 -1200mm above finished floor level, why would you want them ceiling or floor mounted:?:

Fair question. Well firstly just aesthetically but more importantly we want to have light switches sockets etc out of reach of young kids. We will have a switch to unlock the main door like an intercom which must not be child accessible.

We also want some sockets deliberately inaccessible for things that will never be turned off, or that will be wall mounted... A socket for a router, security system display, etc. A socket high up for dedicated use etc. Perhaps they would not fall foul of the rules as not being general use sockets?

I was just double checking and 1200 is REALLY low for a light switch. Virtually waist height... I don't think I've ever been in a building like that and we've lived in modern new build houses. Perhaps I misunderstood that requirement or its only very recently changed?

1200 is easy to reach from a wheel chair presumably.
Anyway you can have switches and sockets for particular purposes in whatever position you like as long as it meets wiring regs ie suitable for the conditions. Part m is just covering the parts of the installation for general use by users of the building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back