socket box depth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Would a 25mm deep box suffice for a double gang light switch which will contain 4 light switches?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It is the heck of a lot easier to go deeper at the time than try to add depth later

Go as deep as you can... and especially if you ever want to fit the fancy brushed steel face plates.

There must be an awful lot of unnecessary work carried out.

Deep back-boxes in case you may need them one day even though your switch only needs a 16mm. one.
All sockets on a pointless ring, despite the increased Zs and cable cost, in case you ever want to spur of it.
10 mm² cable for cooker in case you ever want to install an industrial kiln.
Unnecessary number of circuits and spare ways in an eighteen way consumer unit in a three-bed-semi.
Unnecessary switches for all appliances.
Flow switch and relay for heating mirror.

All sockets on a pointless ring, despite the increased Zs ....
I would think it would be very unusual (if not unknown) for the Zs of a ring (pointless or not) to be higher than that of alternative radial arrangements, wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Probably, but you know what I meant.
I understand, and largely agree with, the rest of what your wrote, but I think it incredibly unlikely that a ring would have a higher Zs (or VD) than radial(s) serving the same sockets. In fact, unless the routing of the ring cable was absolutely crazy, I doubt that it would be even possible!

Kind Regards, John

Yes, you are undoubtedly right but it was a convenient way of wording "wasteful cable routing down to sockets and back along the same route".

I should have said "despite the unnecessary increasing of Zs", although then you could have said it probably doesn't matter.

:)

I should have said "despite the unnecessary increasing of Zs", although then you could have said it probably doesn't matter.:)
I'm still confused. I still don't understand in what circumstances a ring serving a number of sockets could/would have a higher Zs than would radial(s) serving the same sockets. One would obviously usually expect the ring to have a considerably lower Zs.

Kind Regards, John

I'm not saying that. I'm saying the oft quoted 'it's better if all sockets are on the ring' rather than have spurs is, in general, a waste of cable.

I, mistakenly from your point of view, said this would (unnecessarily) increase the Zs.
I didn't say this would make it higher than a radial.

The same would apply to a radial.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying the oft quoted 'it's better if all sockets are on the ring' rather than have spurs is, in general, a waste of cable.
Yes, that will often be true.
I, mistakenly from your point of view, said this would (unnecessarily) increase the Zs. I didn't say this would make it higher than a radial.
I'm still a bit lost. If your 'increase' is not relative to a radial, what does it relate to. A spur from a ring will (I think inevitably, but certainly usually) have a slightly higher Zs than would the same socket (or whatever) if it were part of the ring, wouldn't it?
The same would apply to a radial.
What do you mean by that? As often discussed, unless in reduced CSA cable, the concept of a 'spur' does not really exist in relation to a radial.

Kind Regards, John

Come on John; sometimes I wonder.

I just said the philosophy of putting all sockets on the ring on the off chance that one day you may wish to spur off one of them was unnecessary work and a waste of cable.
Mentioning that it would increase the Zs was apparently a foolish thing to include.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back