Socket Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post. I'm planning a full rewire (i used to be on the tools and have my C&G part 1&2 level 3 NVQ and the old 16th Ed, did fail the 2391 :oops: ) so I do have an understanding of the 17th ed after following blogs etc etc. Now my understanding is that as the house is not part M modified or built I've no requirement to apply the socket and switch specification as per the height from the floor correct????? As far as the CU is concerned I'm just fitting all RCBOs at £10 each for new ones off of flea bay which I think is a cracking price. Anyway I would appreciate your input, thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
I put sockets at 12" centre and switches at 54" centres as taught by an old school master.

Not sure if it's right though it's just the way I was taught

Hi all, first post. I'm planning a full rewire (i used to be on the tools and have my C&G part 1&2 level 3 NVQ and the old 16th Ed, did fail the 2391 :oops: ) so I do have an understanding of the 17th ed after following blogs etc etc. Now my understanding is that as the house is not part M modified or built I've no requirement to apply the socket and switch specification as per the height from the floor correct?????
Generally that is correct though you should get your Building Control Officer to confirm that before you start work - some have different interpretations.
As far as the CU is concerned I'm just fitting all RCBOs at £10 each for new ones off of flea bay which I think is a cracking price. Anyway I would appreciate your input, thanks Dave
Just make sure they comply with BS otherwise 'cracking' may be an issue. ;)

You can have sockets and switches at any height you like, subject to them not becoming dangerous to use,

Although many people say that once you get used to the guideline Part M heights for sockets they look just fine, and it isn't just disabled people who appreciate them - those of advancing years like them too...

Less acceptance for guideline light switch heights.

Sponsored Links
I'd advise against buying cheap RCBOs from an unknown source - they may be fine but if they are not then you're up the creek without a paddle!
Is it worth the risk?

Brand new wylex in boxes, why pay £26 odd from FCC? I use to have loads of items left over from jobs but flea bay wasn't thought of then! But I know where your coming from, the test will sort out if theres a prob with them but my guess is there over from a job or they've fallen of off a shelve somewhere![/list]

No reason to disagree that your "brand new in boxes" are what they purport to be, but if someone's going to put out phoney switches they're going to put them out in equally convincing boxes ....

PJ

No reason to disagree that your "brand new in boxes" are what they purport to be, but if someone's going to put out phoney switches they're going to put them out in equally convincing boxes ....

PJ
Hmmmm thats a lot of trouble to go to for such a limited market in the UK for RCBOs, it would be far simpler to just make a crap RCBO and sell it under the brand name of 'crapsupplysltd' and just sell them cheap and they would sell (no I would not buy one) but theres always someone. I cannot believe that it would pay to make an identical item even the instruction and box and then go and find someone to sell them cheap on flea bay hoping for a handsome return for my outlay, but who knows, maybe there on the shelves of your supplier too lol. Like I said the trip test times etc will prove the items. And if I've wasted £80 so be it but I dont think so, have a look yourself. Hes also got cable left over etc I've got more 16th ed wylex CUs and loads of MCBs for them which I've just accumulated over the years and there stuck in the loft, there not fake just what I've made (alright not made TAKEN) from jobs over the years, if your on the tools and working for a large company it happens. If you do a cash in the hand job for a mate do you pay for every item, clip etc???? anyway I'm starting to woffle, it happens with age lol. If anyone wants any MCBs for wylex NH Cu's give me a PM and you can have them for £1.00 each, in fact thats got me thinking that the loft would stop bulging if I sell all the items I've got up there. :)

RCBos are definently the way to go, I have not used an MCB on a new domestic board for well over a year, the great benefit is that you don't loose all your power with a fault on just one circuit.

I have found about 6 out of spec ones though in the past year, different makes though, so I always get few more than I need and take back the excess (wholesaler loves me, today I asked to return 1 BS1361 5A fuse, just to wind him up!!!) :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back