socket in a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to put an RCD socket in my shed at the bottom of the garden just for the lawnmower or the odd power tool.

I'm aware of all the Part P stuff and will get a spark to do the final connections but my main problem is my consumer unit is at the front of my house and my garden is out the back. To run a cable from the consumer unit to the back of the house, although isn't impossible, is a nightmare job.

I have read of taking a spur from an existing ring main (provided its not already a spur) into an RCD unit (2.5mm T+E) then out of that, through the wall, into conduit under ground to the shed and then into an RCD socket.

Is that acceptable as I have a ring main socket right by my back door, real handy!.

Many Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
In general it sounds okay, I would be fitting a FCU before moving outside.

If you're going to be burying this cable then I would be looking at using metal conduit, SWA would be far far better.

It would need to be 500mm below the surface and protected in / by something.

I would ask a sparky to come and have a look, the preferable way would be to have a dedicated supply from your CU to another external unit in your shed.

I'm looking to put an RCD socket in my shed at the bottom of the garden just for the lawnmower or the odd power tool.
How far?

I'm aware of all the Part P stuff and will get a spark to do the final connections
Then you should be aware that you won't comply with the notification requirements of Part P that way.

but my main problem is my consumer unit is at the front of my house and my garden is out the back. To run a cable from the consumer unit to the back of the house, although isn't impossible, is a nightmare job.
What about running it on the outside of the house until you get to the point of burial?

I have read of taking a spur from an existing ring main (provided its not already a spur) into an RCD unit (2.5mm T+E) then out of that, through the wall, into conduit under ground to the shed and then into an RCD socket.
That's 2 RCDs in series - not necessary and not a good idea.

Is that acceptable as I have a ring main socket right by my back door, real handy!.
That should already be RCD protected. If not, get it sorted, if it is (via an RCD for the circuit) you don't need another RCD anywhere for the shed spur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back