Socket issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an issue regarding 4 sockets in my house, 3 upstairs and 1 down stairs, 3 of them are completely dead and 1 of them when I plug a socket tester in it tells me that it’s missing an earth, but it works fine…. Checked all in the boxes and wires are secure

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have an issue regarding 4 sockets in my house, 3 upstairs and 1 down stairs, 3 of them are completely dead and 1 of them when I plug a socket tester in it tells me that it’s missing an earth, but it works fine…. Checked all in the boxes and wires are secure

Have the sockets ever worked? If they have worked but have since stopped working, did anything change, i.e. putting pictures up, shelves up?

From your description you do need a spark but it would be good to be prepared with some answers to the questions they may ask you. How confident are you with electrical DIY?

Have the sockets ever worked? If they have worked but have since stopped working, did anything change, i.e. putting pictures up, shelves up?

From your description you do need a spark but it would be good to be prepared with some answers to the questions they may ask you. How confident are you with electrical DIY?
Yeah they did work, then all of sudden not, no drilling in the wall or floor when it stopped working, my electrical DIY is achievable with guidance

Sponsored Links
you must have more sockets then that in the house - why have you specified only those 4 ?

what type of fusebox/consumer unit do you have ?

you must have more sockets then that in the house - why have you specified only those 4 ?

what type of fusebox/consumer unit do you have ?
Yes there are more sockets but they all work fine, the kitchen one work off a separate mcb but the rest including the dead ones run off another mcb
IMG_6216.jpeg

has the shower MCB always been OFF ??
ALL the house Sockets run off the one MCB
do you have a proper multimeter tester - OR just a socket tester ?

has the shower MCB always been OFF ??
ALL the house Sockets run off the one MCB
do you have a proper multimeter tester - OR just a socket tester ?
not always, I replaced the electric shower with a thermostatic one, but that was 6+ months ago, unrelated, 13 of them are on “house sockets” and 5 are on “kitchen sockets” and that’s all the sockets I have, I haven’t got a multimeter, but if it’s going to get me closer to and answer I will purchase one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back