New ring circuit from socket

<lots and lots of stuff, attempting to explain why he wasn't fully conversant with what had gone before>
It's been a complicated and very confusing thread, and I can understand that, since you hadn't had the time/opportunity to study (and attempt to decipher!) the whole thread carefully enough, what you posted seemed even more confusing to some of us.

However, assuming that you have now had a chance to look a bit more carefully, don't you have anything to say about the wiring arrangement the OP apparently ended up with (which, in your words, got some of us 'excited') - or, indeed, any more general comments about the thread/OP?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
JohnW2 has the patience of a saint!

I'm also slightly bemused why B-A-S isn't more up in arms about the OP and his friend, his friend's friend, and the mess they've made of this.
I hope B-A-S has read through the whole thread now and that we're about to witness normal service being resumed :D

<lots and lots of stuff, attempting to explain why he wasn't fully conversant with what had gone before>
It's been a complicated and very confusing thread, and I can understand that, since you hadn't had the time/opportunity to study (and attempt to decipher!) the whole thread carefully enough, what you posted seemed even more confusing to some of us.
A lot of it wasn't there.

There had been no drawing from the OP. WTF people can't be rsed to follow ALL of the instructions for posting images beats me. It can't be incompetence, if they've successfully managed to do steps 1-8, what reason can there be for not doing the remaining 3 steps other than sheer ****** laziness?

However, assuming that you have now had a chance to look a bit more carefully, don't you have anything to say about the wiring arrangement the OP apparently ended up with (which, in your words, got some of us 'excited')
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I had no recourse to that when I said I couldn't see what people were excited about.

- or, indeed, any more general comments about the thread/OP?
The thread?

riveralt becoming irrational very early on.

You unable to grasp that if a socket has 3 cables in it and you take 1 existing one out and add in a new one, you still have only 3 in it.

The OP? Starts out describing something fine, and then (apparently) draws something different. But then he didn't do it, which was a wise decision, as he clearly doesn't understand enough to have done it. I don't know what he drew, because he hasn't posted anything, and as a matter of principle if he can't be bothered to post a drawing I can't be bothered to go looking for it.

His friend? We have no idea. That he works as a shopfitter does not mean that he is not capable of correctly adding a few accessories to a ring final and testing it afterwards. That having tested it, leaving an invoice and a business card does not mean that he's a cowboy.

I'm also slightly bemused why B-A-S isn't more up in arms about the OP and his friend, his friend's friend, and the mess they've made of this.
The OP gives every impression of having literacy difficulties and of not having a clue about electrical circuits. We have no idea if a mess has actually been made.

Sponsored Links
<another lenthy post, including...>There had been no drawing from the OP. WTF people can't be rsed to follow ALL of the instructions for posting images beats me. ... I don't know what he drew, because he hasn't posted anything, and as a matter of principle if he can't be bothered to post a drawing I can't be bothered to go looking for it.
Is that what your very uncharacteristic reticence to comment has all been about - the fact that, although the 'final' wiring diagram is clearly visible to anyone who looks at this thread, you are refusing to 'see' it because the OP did not embed it in his post himself?

Kind Regards, John

The OP? Starts out describing something fine, and then (apparently) draws something different. But then he didn't do it, which was a wise decision, as he clearly doesn't understand enough to have done it. I don't know what he drew, because he hasn't posted anything, and as a matter of principle if he can't be bothered to post a drawing I can't be bothered to go looking for it.
The words of the 'rational' man :rolleyes:

His friend? We have no idea. That he works as a shopfitter does not mean that he is not capable of correctly adding a few accessories to a ring final and testing it afterwards. That having tested it, leaving an invoice and a business card does not mean that he's a cowboy.
Despite obvious evidence to contrary - another rational explanation :rolleyes:

Don't worry BAS I accept your apology - lots of love - the irrational riveralt ;)

Is that what your very uncharacteristic reticence to comment has all been about - the fact that, although the 'final' wiring diagram is clearly visible to anyone who looks at this thread, you are refusing to 'see' it because the OP did not embed it in his post himself?
Are you being deliberately obtuse?

1) There was no "final" wiring diagram "clearly visible" when I made my post.

2) When have you ever known me to be reticent in stating my firm position that if somebody is so ******* lazy that they can't be bothered to post their images properly then I am not going to try and find them?

Are you being deliberately obtuse?
No, but I am getting confused.
1) There was no "final" wiring diagram "clearly visible" when I made my post.
At 1:21pm on Friday, the OP wrote "No need to post pictures of wires now job is done. Got no time for that just a diagram posted of what he done.”, and less than one minute later, riveralt posted a rotated version of that diagram to the forum, there for all to see. Your first contribution to the thread was over an hour after that, at 2:28pm. In any event, even if you had not by then had time to look at the ‘clearly visible final wiring diagram’, I have brought it to your attention on a number of occasions since, yet your apparent reticence to comment has persisted. As I asked, are you just refusing to ‘see’ that diagram because the OP did not embed it in his own post, or what? Even with my fairly long experience of seeing your forum contributions, I’m confused.

Kind Regards, John

At 1:21pm on Friday, the OP wrote "No need to post pictures of wires now job is done. Got no time for that just a diagram posted of what he done.
Wasn't there.

and less than one minute later, riveralt posted a rotated version of that diagram to the forum, there for all to see.
Riveralt. Not the OP, riveralt.

And I'd already pretty much started discounting his contributions to this topic.

Your first contribution to the thread was over an hour after that, at 2:28pm.
Actually my first contribution was over 24 hours before then - you replied to it.

In any event, even if you had not by then had time to look at the ‘clearly visible final wiring diagram’, I have brought it to your attention on a number of occasions since, yet your apparent reticence to comment has persisted. As I asked, are you just refusing to ‘see’ that diagram because the OP did not embed it in his own post, or what? Even with my fairly long experience of seeing your forum contributions, I’m confused.
By then it had become abundantly clear that the OP can't be relied upon to draw a line between 2 points on the same piece of paper.

Hi all looks like this has turned into a bitching match .

Just to confirm that I messed the picture up and that ban all sheds is right what he has been saying.

The job has been done and is all working fine with two lights running of F.s.

This is the way it was done.

The red bit was my mistake.

The socket I went from had 3 live 3n and 3 earth wires in but when tested two where live 1 was dead.

So one live was put in J.B and ringed back to socket .

Assuming that those two 'lose ends' are connected into the rest of the ring, then it's still wrong - what electricians call a 'figure of 8' circuit, not a single ring.

Yes, it will work, but it's also 'wrong'.

Kind Regards, John

Hi all looks like this has turned into a **** match .

Just to confirm that I messed the picture up and that ban all sheds is right what he has been saying.

The job has been done and is all working fine with two lights running of F.s.

Are you just a Troll:::::::::
Where are the cables bringing the power into the downstairs socket?
Or does it just magically energise the rest of the circuit?
Time to get the can out:
View media item 45300

Assuming that those two 'lose ends' are connected into the rest of the ring, then it's still wrong - what electricians call a 'figure of 8' circuit, not a single ring.
Yes, it will work, but it's also 'wrong'.
I am working on the basis that the loose ends are to the lights from the switch fused spur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back