help-quick ring circuit question answered urgently plse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Just downed tools for a second as not sure what to do and Im feeling v thick!!

I want to add two sockets to an existing ring main and I have one socket in the room in question at the mo. Its upstairs and I havent a clue where the wiring goes to either way from the socket I want to break into. The wiring doesn't really give a clue.

I want to do is:
1- chop into the ring with one 30 amp junction box (leave the other cable thats the other half of the ring currently going into the existing socket in place)
2)-use the chopped end with a junction box to join up to 1 new socket, then go out from that socket to the 2nd new one before returning to and joining up with the original pre-existing socket which still has one end of the original ring in place.

Can I do this plse? A qiuick response would be v much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds ok... but where to you plan to place the joint box... they must remain accessable for inspection... under a fitted carpet is not normally considered so

Have you considered putting two sockets where the existing one is (whether you decide on two singles in a bar box, or two doubles simply near each other is upto you), putting one leg of existing ring final to each, and joining one leg from your new section to each?

Thanks Adam- The reason Im unsure is partly because Im taking the opportunity to update my elec whilst relaying the floor upstairs with reclaimed t&g oak flooring. I dont ever ever plan to take it up again.

The new sockets need to be on the other side of the room

By the sounds of it then you are planning on putting junction boxes under the floor - this is (generally considered to be) against the regs.

Adam_151's idea is a good one - put another socket (single or double, or even a blank plate or something like that) next to the existing one, then you can terminate one leg of the existing ring to each accessory, and run one leg of each of the new bits to each - that way you've only got two connections in each, but have maintained the ring...

Sponsored Links
You have two options either do as Adam suggests or trace the cable on one leg of the existing socket, if you can't trace this or think the route is too complex or un-accesable then do as adam suggests.

You have an existing outlet (a) with two legs into it. Directly next to that fit a new outlet (b) take one of the legs from outlet (a) and connect into outlet (b) then take a new cable form (a) and run that to your new outlet (c) then take another cable back from (c) to (b). Add more outlets between (c) and (b) as necessary.

Alternatively you can joint the cable under your floor as you have suggested but use suitable jointing methods. One of which is crimping and then putting the crimped joint in a chocbox.

There are lots of new joiting gizmo'z coming onto the market recently but I prefer crimping.

Alternatively if you don't intend to pull any serious amapage from the two additional sockets you could supply them both from a 13 amp fused spare thus removing any jointing of cables under the floors.

Thanks for all the v knowledgeable replies which have persuaded me that my junction box idea is not the way forward.

I need to get this sorted asap so in the end have decided to go for a single spur to give me 2 double sockets for a 10x12 bedroom on the basis that I have good condition 2.5mm wiring, 3 single sockets on the original upstairs ring(how lazy is that!) and only one spur at the mo on a now updated MCB consumer unit. I understand that I could put 3 spurs potentially on the basis of the number of sockets.

Is that correct?

Again thanks for the replies

No, you should only have one accessory per unfused spur from the ring.

There is nothing stopping you installing a fused spur unit and connecting sockets to this, you can have as many as you like as they are protected by the 13A fuse.

1. There are only 3 sockets upstairs on the existing circuit
2. The upstairs floor is being completely replaced

Why not just put in a completely new circuit and stop messing about with what is already there?

In your case, an accessory is either a single socket, a double socket or a fused spur unit.
You can only spur off a ring to one accessory, you cannot continue this spur to feed any more.
Not to say you can't spur off the ring more than once, or use the spur to feed a fused spur and then use that to supply more than one socket.

I want to add two sockets to an existing ring main and I have one socket in the room in question at the mo.

Change the existing to a DUAL box with two singles on,with one leg of the ring in each.
Then do a loop from them for the two new ones.

simple solution it to add a third socket, on the same side of the room as the original where the cable will allow, and then add the other 2 new sockets between..

an extra socket that is hardly / never used is preferable to a JB since it's accessible for inspection..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back